Chapter 5

"You thought you could hide from me... Who are you? Are you an assassin sent to kill me? And how in the blazes did you get on my wall?" The little ball of light has appeared showing his full face now.

"No, I... I..." I stumble on my words not able to speak. The cool metal from his blade that he's holding at my throat stops me from talking. Instead I shake my head quickly trying to get my arm out of his grasp. He doesn't move, his grip only tighter now. He's too strong... I can't get away.

"Answer me now or I'll send you to the gallows. Why did I see you on the wall the other night. How do you look different from when I first saw you? Who sent you?" He demands holding my arm up almost lifting me off the floor while holding the knife to my neck. One swift movement and my life is over...

His proximity is overwhelming and my throat starts to close up. I don't know what to say. No one can know of my secret not even the King. "I'm not going to ask again, where-" He stops and I notice his eyes are on my wrist. Oh no... His expression softens seeing the mark left by my former Master. The young King lets go of my arm and moves away a step. My heart thumps in my chest. He's going to send me back now. Or slaughter me on the spot for running away.

"You're no assassin. You are a.. slave."

My breath catches in my throat and tears are starting to well up. "Please don't send me back to him. I can't go back to my master." Or to Hearthgrim.. I hold onto my wrist, covering the cursed partial mark.

The King shakes his head side to side closing his eyes. "Slavery is forbidden here, it should be everywhere... I would never send someone back to those sick bastards. I can assure you, Miss, you are safe here."

Did he say it's forbidden here? "So you're not sending me back?" I look up into his eyes as he puts his blade away. He shakes his head again and I start to cry from the relief that washes over me. Because of Elyse I made it to Adelaide and because of this city I am safe from Drakon. Divine Gods bless her kind heart and I hope her soul reaches the Golden Fields.

Footsteps echo from the floor above us as someone walks down the stairs. The young King's light vanishes and he herds me to the wall behind me. While the people chatter to each other, I glance at the young man, he puts a finger over his mouth. I think he wants me to stay quiet so I do.

Two women walk down not noticing us as their backs are to us as they step out of the building. Then it's quiet again with only our breaths filling the air.

"Sorry." He coughs looking away for a moment as he steps back. "Didn't want to get caught in here and I should apologize for scaring you like that..." He rubs the back of his neck then speaks up. "So you were," He pauses, eyeing me carefully, "running away then?"

I chew on my lip and nod. "Yes. I was about to be sold to another man and during my journey being transported a bandit stopped us..." That horrid masked man, may he rot on the side of that road. The image of bright red against his white undershirt spreading from his neck flashes through my mind. If I was just a little faster Elyse would be alive...

One of his dark brows lifts as he tilts his head to the side while he listens. His blue eyes skim over me, his stare sends a shiver down my spine making me want to shrink down into a bug and crawl away. I wonder if I could change my shape into something that small...

My fingers find each other and twist together. Why is it though when he looks at me I feel like I might faint, or maybe it is from earlier. Shifting too much drains my energy. "I was the only one that managed to escape and found my way here..." I say finally, not looking at his face. Not the whole truth but I didn't lie either...

His mouth forms a thin line. "That's terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you." He sighs looking out to the windows and rubs his face. "Would you like to come with me please?"