Chapter 21

Sebastian and I haven't spoken a word since we left Captain Hellman in Adelaide. I hope he is all right. I am just glad he was able to help us... To have to fight another of Seb's family, it would have been hard on him. Vernon and the rest of the traitors must know that we have fled with the griffin being gone. We have to succeed in making contact with the Fae and hopefully get their help in taking back Adelaide. What will happen between that, I am unsure of. It will be a battle though. For some reason I know that Vernon won't give up easily.

I turn around to a rising sun and the city is gone from my view. Forward to the west is where our destiny awaits. How much longer do we have? Where is Silver Stone Vale? It must be far from Adelaide if we are still flying, the top of the sun is touching the horizon and I don't see the water yet. It's all lush evergreen forest.

We should land soon to rest, being up all night and using my magic has caught up with me. I feel it now, my lack of energy as I grip Sebastian's waist tighter. He must be tired as well. I ask him when are we going to land and he replies with a flat. "When we get to the coast. We will rest there so Neo will be able to fly come nightfall, it's still a long journey from there."

Right. I remember him showing me the map now. How far away Silver Stone Vale was from Adelaide, with all the land and ocean in between. How far Seb's Kingdom was from the mainland even. All I can hope is that Neo will make it across the vast expanse of water then for us to make contact with the Fae. As we fly on I fight the urge to sleep, I'm staying up as long as Sebastian is. After him almost dying on me, it's hard not to keep a watchful eye on him.

Neo lands us softly in a thicket of trees, there's no sign of humans anywhere so I let my natural form out. It's still odd having white hair and pointed ears, my skin still pale as before. Now I look like an Azure. For all these years Drakon had me hide that part of me somehow. With the contract lifted it gave me the strength to reveal my true self.

Sebastian waits for me to get off first then he hops off and pats Neo's head after taking the bags off the animal's back. "Good boy. Find a place to rest and I'll call for you later."

The griffin bows its head and stalks off into the trees.

"Quite an amazing bond you two have." I say sitting on a rock. My body has grown sore, especially my feet. Wearing these heels all night then running up those stairs. What a night... what a day, these past couple of nights and days actually. What an ordeal.

Sebastian nods as he works on undoing his belt that holds his sword. "Well I've had him since he was a cub." He hangs his coat and belt on a low hanging tree branch. "In ancient times the Fae used them in battle, now there are only a few of them left."

"Hmm." I mumble, rubbing the stiffness out at the back of my neck and my eyes drift to Seb's side where a blotch of red is showing. "Wait! What is that?!" I yell striding over to him and lift his shirt up without asking first.

He winces at my touch but doesn't push me away. Instead he sighs when I gasp at the sight. There, I find a small shallow wound seeping blood. "Why didn't you tell me you were still hurt!" I yell, backing away so I can stare into his eyes.

"You've done enough for me! You used too much magic and I can see how tired you are. I barely feel it anyway." He towers over me with an anger in his eyes but his face softens. "Go rest. I'll take the first watch. When you wake, you can heal me then."

No. My head shakes side to side. "No way. I'm not going to be able to sleep. Not until I heal you completely." I couldn't rest knowing that he is still hurt. Still bleeding.

"Cam, I am fine,"

"No, you are not arguing with me." I say cutting him off. "You are going to sit down while I heal you. End of discussion." I say pointing a finger at him. Maybe it's the lack of sleep or my new-found confidence but I don't care if I'm being rude or disrespectful to him. And maybe it's from his lack of sleep or how much we have been through tonight but all he does is sigh and takes my orders with a small smile spreading across his face. Even when he sits down we are just about the same height. I shake my head slightly and kneel down beside him.