Chapter 9

Just like the day before, Sebastian is waiting outside the Inn ready to take me on a tour of his city. As the young King tells me about the history and people within Adelaide I can't help but think about the words he had spoken to me yesterday. 'I think you are the most beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on.' Then to what Miss Trewlany said when I was at the Lucky Star. 'Men must stop as you pass them, beauty in every way.' Although I don't want to admit it, I guess some might find me attractive including the King... I never thought myself as pretty.

What I can't understand is how he has been so kind to me yet hasn't tried to touch me in any way. Maybe because he knows that I am a slave. A King won't bother involving himself with someone like me.

My gaze focuses on the streets outside my window and I notice that we are up in the higher districts now. I sit up to peer out the front window to see past the driver. The castle sits at the top of the hill as we approach the 'King's Square,' is what Sebastian called it. I haven't been up here since his coronation.

The young King tells me that the highest members of his court live up here, like the priests, lords, captains and lieutenants, or anyone of the high council. As well as any people that can afford to reside in the King's Square. The carriage stops at the steps leading up to a large building that I realize was the one that Sebastian had walked into on his coronation.

As we walk up the stairs, my mouth opens in 'awe.' I look up above us and see six figures carved into the stone atop the large iron and wood doors. The carving seems to be telling some kind of story that I don't know.

Polished white marble columns tower above us in the entrance. And when we step inside it's as ornate as the outside. The white marble extends out on the entire floor and dark carved wood lines the walls and up. There are more marble columns that hold the magnificent roof over us. Gold and some kind of purple gem accents are scattered around the open room. I notice the windows have different coloured glass panels shining purple light in the large space. The ceiling itself is high above us and I find that there are more figures painted across the entire surface. How did someone get up there to paint that? Or did they use magic to do it?

Sebastian has walked ahead of me as I stand in one spot to twirl around to take everything in. It is quite magnificent the amount of detail that was put in to a place like this. The amount of talent and hard work. By the sound of our footsteps echoing, I can tell the space is large.

When my gaze lowers back down, I catch the young King watching me with a calm expression but he gives me a small smile. I quickly walk to him and I feel my face heating up again. He's standing before a large portrait with, what I am assuming, is more Elves on it. I wonder if this place was built for them. Whoever they are. Candles are neatly set among the statues along with more of the purple gems that I had seen earlier. Now that I think of it, these gems remind me of the one set in Elyse's necklace. I wonder if they are the same... My eyes drift up to the faces carved into the stone. An odd feeling rattles in my mind which makes me turn to the King looking at me.

"What is it?" I ask tilting my head to the side.

He bites his tongue holding back a... laugh then he waves a hand. "Sorry, I don't mean to stare... It's just, you look at everything with such wonderment."

"Oh.." I guess that's true. It's hard not to be amazed when you haven't seen such wonderful things before.

"Welcome to the Temple of the Divine." Sebastian says while rubbing the back of his neck.

"What is the Divine? Who are they?" Elyse has mentioned them and Mrs. Dotham prayed to them, claiming they are gods.

"Well..." Sebastian scratches his head. "We aren't too sure if they are living beings or something else. According to legend they are the oldest and most powerful entities, they created life when the universe was born. Divine Elves is what the Fae called them."