Chapter 15

Since it is my day off I take it easy by sleeping in later than normal and I don't get out of bed until 10 in the morning. After last night's ordeal, I still feel like Hearthgrim is near. Like he is lurking in the castle somewhere or in the city so I stay under my covers for as long as I can. I know that it is impossible but I can't shake it even while I try to read a book. Also Sebastian hasn't come to visit me. I hope he is all right... I hope he doesn't hate me after what I told him about his mother. Last night was a nightmare I never want to relive. What I can't get over, is how real it was. It felt like it was happening all over again.

Just after noon, I finally leave my room to get something to eat. The rush is over around this time and I don't run into anyone on my way to the kitchen. There is some food left over and I pick what I want and put them on my own plate. I had a hard time staying in my room when I first smelt the meal being cooked. Thank the Divine no one is around right now. I don't feel like talking to anyone except for Sebastian. I want to know how he is doing.

Women's voices echo from the hall leading into to the kitchen, so I duck out before they enter, taking my plate of food and find a quiet spot on an outside walkway to eat my lunch in peace.

I wonder what Seb said to Maude about my appearance? They said I was wailing for a while before they could wake me. That dream felt so real... Never had I had a dream so real. It has been a while since I have seen Hearthgrim so why would I dream of that? It's because I saw who Amelia is, that he knew her. A shiver runs down my spine as I stand to bring my empty plate back to the kitchen.

"Oh there you are." Seb says making me jump. "You weren't in your room." My body relaxes when I see him.

He doesn't seem mad, in fact he is acting like what I told him last night didn't affect him at all... "Oh, um, yes. I couldn't stay in there much longer. I got hungry." I tell him with a sheepish grin.

A small smile tugs at the corner of his lips. "How are you?"

"I'm okay... What about you?"

He shrugs, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Stayed up all night doing some light reading."

"Oh." I wonder what he was reading. Did my news keep him awake? With what I told him, I thought he wouldn't talk to me after. At least not a for a couple days. It would have gave him time to process it.

"I was reading my mother's diaries..."

"Oh?" I stop myself from looking into his eyes. They remind me too much of his mother's now.

He nods, looking down. "The way you spoke of Hearthgrim felt like it had a ring of truth, that he may have loved my mother some time ago. Before she met my father. So I wanted to find out if she wrote anything about him. She may not admit it but there might be some clues as to who he is."

I rub my hands together, not being able to look at him in the eye yet. "I hope you find what you are looking for."

"Me too." He speaks softly and our gazes finally meet. "How did you sleep?" Red rims his eyelids and a light blue colours underneath them. A twinge of sorrow hits my chest and I feel sorry for the King. Too much is already going on with him and now I add this to it.

I bite my lip turning my head away. As soon as my head hit the pillow I instantly fell asleep even if my mind was racing. "Good. Thank you for your help." I say and I feel my face heat up as I smile to him. Sebastian was gentle and calm with me, he knew how to handle the situation. I am glad he was there to take care of me. "How are you Seb?"

"Better, to my surprise." He smiles back with his head tilted to the side. "And I will always be here to help you, Cam. I just want you to be happy."