Matchmaking Disaster (38)

“Yes mom, I’m good. Everything’s fine. You don’t have to worry anything.” I’d been talking to my mom for the last thirty minutes. She kept on repeating ‘not to talk to strangers, avoid dark alleys’ and the like. What was I? A five-year-old? “Mom, I can take care of myself,” I groaned in frustration.

“I’m just worried about you honey. I don’t want you to get in trouble again,” she said.

“I know mom. I’ll be going now. I need to go somewhere else.”

“Where?”

“The matchmaking restaurant. I just want to talk to some people.”

“Is Harry coming with you?” she inquired almost immediately.

“No mom. I’m going to a matchmaking place. Do you think he’ll come with me? I don’t think so.”

Mom’s too insensitive sometimes. I just want to hang up on her but that’s too rude so I just have to let her go on.

“Are you still there Sapphire?”

“Yes mom.” But I wasn’t able to comprehend everything she said because I got lost in my thoughts.

My mom finally bid her goodbye after another twenty minutes of I-don’t-know what she’s talking about.

I grabbed my things then I head out of my apartment. Today’s a great day. I got to go home early from school since there’s nothing really important to do.

After minutes of driving, I finally arrived at Find Your Better Half. I still didn’t like the name of this place. It’s not really attractive.

“Hello Ms. Sapphire,” a lady in the front desk greeted me.

“Hi,” I answered politely as I made my way to the matchmaking area, taking a seat. I just hoped I could talk to someone.

I heard the buzzer rang, signaling the start of the matchmaking. A guy handed me his information sheet.

He’s a junior in high school. Okay! He’s too young for my liking. I looked at him over my lashes. I just wanted to take a good look at his face, without him noticing it.

My shoulders sagged. I had to tell it to him. “I’m sorry, you’re too young.”

His smile when he sat disappeared almost immediately. I hated to see someone on rejection because I could see myself in them. But I had to remember that you couldn’t accept everyone in your life and let them do something crazy on you.

“Hey don’t be sad. There are a whole lot of girls here. You’ll find what you’re looking for. It’s just not me. You’re young, you know. I know I shouldn’t be telling you this but, you should enjoy your life being single…” I trailed off as I offered a smile at him. “For the mean time,” I added immediately.

He smiled back,” Okay, thank you for that advice.”

I handed him back his information sheet as the buzzer rang, signaling the guys to move one sit to their right.

“Hi,” a bright young gentleman said. He’s wearing a tux. Wow! Talk about formality.

I took a look at his information sheet. He was a sophomore in college, played basketball and a member of a drama club.

“Hi to you too,” I chirped, matching his enthusiasm. “So, you’re an actor. That’s’ great. Have you played on some theatre with big roles?”

“Yes. Actually I have a show tonight. Here,” he slid a piece of paper to my direction. The title said, ‘Broken Strings’. This must be a drama play with sad ending. “You can come if you want. Only few people of my age appreciate drama. But that’s where I’m good at.”

“I agree with you. I’ll try to come. I’m not saying that I don’t like to, I’ll try.”

Ten minutes had gone so fast. The buzzer rang again. We were given five minutes to do some personal stuff, like retouching, going to the bathroom and the like.

I thought of going home now but I decided to try one more.

My phone buzzed. Harry sent me a text message. I opened it and read the message. It said, “Sapphire… Let’s go to the park or the mall. We haven’t hanging around lately.”

Just as I was about to send a reply, a paper was being waved in front of my face. I looked up to see someone I really didn’t want to see. His eyes widened a little, shocked spreading across his face. Maybe he thought that I wouldn’t come here anymore.

I sighed deeply as a thought rushed to my head, “I should’ve left already.”

I didn’t get his information sheet since I already knew what’s in there, but he asked me, “Aren’t you going to get this?”

I looked at him flatly, “Why would I? I knew what’s in there anyway. Why waste time?” I cocked my head to the side, feeling a little sadness as anger slowly crept to me. He shouldn’t see me sad. I had to be tough!

“Yeah, you’re right,” he drawled as he relaxed on his chair. “I bet you don’t want to see me either. But, this place… this place is so memorable to me…” he trailed off.

I slowly looked at him and soon my eyes met his. He continued, “I got to meet you here.”

I was taken aback by his words. Sure I knew those words would come out of his mouth, but hearing it was different. His voice was sweet, so gentle that I just wanted to grab him out of this restaurant and hug him, like he was gone for a long time. I felt my eyes to water. Was I going to cry? No! I had to be strong. But this pain inside me was killing me.

I stood up hastily when I heard the buzzer rang. I had to get away from this place. I had to go somewhere where I couldn’t see Zac.

I stopped just outside of the restaurant, catching every breath I could get. Then I realized that my phone was on the table. Now I had to go back in?

But thinking of options in my head was cut off when I heard his voice calling my name.

I paused, not really wanting to turn around and be lost I his forest green eyes. Those were my weakness.

“Sapphire, you forgot your phone,” he said behind my back.

I still didn’t turn to look at him. What was I going to say? Thank you?

‘Yeah! At least thank him for running just to give you your phone.’ my sub-conscious mind was back.

Debating on my thoughts, I finally turned to face him. I got my phone, brushing my fingers to his. A sudden feeling bubble up inside my stomach. Sparks shattering in me. Why did he have such impact to me?

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat as I answered, “Thank you.” Then I turned my back on him and made my way to my car. But I stopped on my tracks when I realized that he’s following me. “What do you want?” I retorted.

He scratched the back of his head. “Do you like to go somewhere?”

My eyes widened but not in shock but of irritation. Seriously? He thought I should go out with him?

“Have you heard yourself? I think you forgot something at your house. You’re not thinking too well. Maybe you flashed your brain in the toilet,” I grumbled.

I opened my car’s door, getting inside. “Sorry,” he muttered, but I just ignored.

I drove off. This was way too similar when I met him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! An update. :)

Sorry if I wasn’t able to update for days. I was really busy with school. But After this week, my schedule will be less hectic. It’ll be our semester break. And please don’t forget to vote and leave a comment for this story. Help me to at least be in the first round of the watty awards. Thank you.

Facebook on the external link.