Chapter 12

It was luck that I didn't have to work on my project with Kaito right away, giving me time to process what just happened. Somehow, we'd have to do research about the one hero that made me loathe heroes so much. That wasn't going to be easy. Out of all the heroes that were famous in America, Justice-Core was one of the few that had information hidden from the public.

No one knew who he worked with, or if he was even a part of a group. No one knew what his Quirk was. No one really knew of his outside hero life. There was a reason for that. If people knew that he left his family, people with a similar Quirk would feel disgusted or defeated. Seeing that he died the way that he did, well, that was just the icing on the cake.

I knew finding information about Justice-Core would've been impossible, and I wasn't wrong. Instead of going to lunch like I should've, I snuck into the library, hoping to get some research in. There was no way I was going to tell my classmates I was his daughter. I'd be asked too many questions on what happened to him, becoming the center of attention.

There was nothing worse than being put in the spotlight.

To my surprise, I wasn't the only one in the library during lunch hour. Michi sat behind a computer that was shoved against the wall on the first floor. Her curly black hair was pulled back into two pigtails while her fingers tapped away on the keyboard. While U.A. had a decent collection of books—with two floors full of them—there were also computers. These computers let people research topics at lightning speed.

While that might have seemed like a good idea, I knew the internet wasn't going to help me with research on Justice-Core.

Taking a deep breath, I climbed up the spiral staircase, knowing that on the second floor, there was a section on American heroes. I took a deep breath as I walked over, hoping to find something there. Before I could even reach the back shelves, I stopped, seeing the one person I didn't expect to see in the library.

Raiden Yamamoto.

His back was facing me as he opened a book and started flipping through it. My hands started to shake once I realized that we were alone. The last time we had actually spoken to each other was during the first exam. We might have sat next to the same group of people during lunch, but his glare was enough for me to keep quiet.

He didn't have to say a word for me to know he was still angry with what happened.

I turned around and started to sneak into a different part of the American section, hoping the boy wouldn't catch me. The last thing I needed was to run into him and—

"Smith."

My body froze before I looked over my shoulder, seeing Raiden Yamamoto standing behind there. His eyes were no longer staring at his book. Instead, he was looking at me, keeping that firm glare.

Without having to say a word, I knew what he was thinking. There was no one around. He could get payback for what I did. I mean, it wasn't like he suffered from my actions. No one was able to move up or down ranks because Mr. Elastic only used that as a motivator. From what I had seen, Raiden Yamamoto was still doing great in his classes.

Wait, it was Yamamoto. He made it very clear he didn't want me calling him Raiden or Raiden Yamamoto.

"D-d-don't worry about me," I told him as I scratched the back of my head, pointing my right hand towards the direction I was walking towards. "I was, um, I was just...I was going to do some research. I'm sorry for b-bothering you."

Yamamoto frowned. "Really? Research? You know these two shelves are the only ones with books that can help you with it, right?"

My lips pressed together as I slowly turned around, so I'd be facing him. "Is that so? Funny. I, uh, I didn't notice. Well, I'll, uh, I should be, um, getting some lunch. Cya in class?"