Chapter 39

The next day, Peter drove me to the hospital where Dr. Oba did confirm that I had a broken wrist once the X-ray was done. He didn't put the cast on right away, causing me to wear a brace a few days before, but at least it wasn't as painful as it was when it happened.

My mom used that as an excuse to keep me home from school; though, I don't think any of my teachers really expected me to go in at all. When I was home, I did my best to research schools that wouldn't mind a late transfer. It was harder than it looked, and in the end, I could only find one school in Musutafu that would be willing to take in a late student while others would require another entrance exam of some kind. I didn't want to go through that again.

I never brought this up to Sakura, who always brought Ollie back home from school. He seemed fine with everything that had happened, but I had to thank Mr. Elastic for that. My teacher went out and beyond with his hero work as he stayed in constant contact with my brother, sending him letters. Ollie seemed to have pushed everything that had happened in the past as he was fine and got to meet his favorite hero.

No. Ollie didn't just meet his favorite hero. Ollie met his idol and—in his mind—made a new best friend.

While Ollie was fine with everything that had happened, I wasn't. These past few nights, I couldn't sleep as the moment I would, I'd see their faces. Sometimes, I was lucky enough that Peter was home and could calm me down long enough to sleep for a few hours. Other nights, I found myself looking up the news, making sure that Goro and Nightshade were truly locked up. They were. By the looks of things, they'd be locked up for life.

That should've been comforting, but it wasn't. Some nights, I'd have a nightmare of what had happened. Other nights, I'd wake up in cold sweat as Kannon came back alive, helping Nightshade and Goro escape. The three of them would plot their revenge in that nightmare. Every time, they'd succeed.

On the nights Peter wasn't home and reading the articles wouldn't work, I'd borrow my brother's phone—as mine was still lost after I had gone to the festival—to text Sakura. It was a good thing she was a night owl as she'd text until she fell asleep doing so. I might have texted some of my other friends, but Ollie only had her number.

Then again, I wasn't sure what I would even say to my other friends, nor did I really want to think about that.

I pushed that problem off for a while until the fateful day came: my last day at U.A. Never had I ever imagined there would be a day that was worse than my first day there, but as I stared at my reflection in the bathroom mirror, I could only imagine all the horrible stuff that'd happen. Sakura told me all our classmates knew that this would be my last day and knew to some extent what happened. They all seemed to understand, she told me. While she told me that, it didn't seem to calm down my nerves in the slightest.

What stared back at me in the mirror was unrecognizable. Sakura might have lent me some make-up to cover some of the scars, but it didn't hide the stitches running down my left arm or the band aid that was stuck on my nose. My right arm was still in its cast, with a few signatures from my family and Sakura.

Everything about me screamed that I didn't belong in that school. Dr. Oba, who helped me with my cast, did all that he could to ease the pain. He just couldn't completely heal every single injury I had, just the minor ones. There weren't many people who could magically heal broken bones and take away stitches, though he did offer to buy a plane ticket to see a doctor in Okinawa, Japan, who could do that. I just didn't want to cause any more trouble.

Besides, I was just grateful for all that he did.

While I was grateful and all, I couldn't help but to feel more out of place as I looked at my reflection because of all of the marks that were left behind. None of this would have happened if I had been more cautious, but that was just me lying to myself. The only reason we got so lucky out of there was because I had gone to U.A. Had Kannon found me if I had gone to some other school, everyone would have probably forgotten their Quirk by now.