Chapter 29

Unless you count the times I was at the infirmary at U.A, it had been a while since I had last stepped foot into a hospital. This was partly because I was pretty healthy and never had to worry about anything. That didn't mean I don't remember the last time I had been in a hospital, and the thought of it was somewhat concerning.

That was because the last time I was here, Ollie broke his right arm.

It was about two years ago. Ollie was just starting school and was playing with the other kids on the playground. He didn't have a Quirk like a majority of his classmates, but he tried to show off by going on the monkey bars. Some kid who was just learning how to fly accidentally crashed into him, causing him to land really hard into the concrete ground. He was rushed into the hospital to get a cast.

By the time it was done, I remembered Mom and Peter were barely home. Ollie thought it was part of his punishment for breaking his arm, but I knew differently. I knew because it was on one of those nights that I went through the mail and found a bill from the hospital. Our parents' insurance didn't pay for anything, causing them to take extra shifts to pay for the medical expenses. No matter how hard they worked, it wasn't enough. At least, it wasn't enough to continue treatment to receive physical therapy that he should've gotten. Luckily, Ollie was left handed like me, so he was able to take it easy after the cast came off.

Seeing how drowned they were in medical bills worried me. I tried my best to stay safe, so I wouldn't worry them. I ate somewhat healthy, so I wouldn't get sick. I stayed away from those who were sick, so I wouldn't catch what they had. I did everything in my power not to get hurt, so my parents wouldn't have to go through that again.

Being here in the hospital wasn't helping.

"Tami, relax. Dr. Oba is one of the best doctors in all of Japan. He's going to figure out what's wrong and fix it in no time," Hatsuko Yamamoto promised.

Her words didn't help as I sat on the edge of the examination table, tapping my fingers on my knees. She was the only one to come with me being that Raiden Yamamoto and his other sister had to go to school. Their parents had work, or at least that was what I was told even though I didn't even see their dad that morning.

I turned to look at Hatsuko, who sat on one of the chairs that was pushed against the wall. She had returned into her hero suit, complete with the purple mask that went over her eyes.

After realizing I wasn't going to talk, the young woman looked up at some of the posters that were in the room to keep herself entertained. I just didn't really know what I could talk about. Even if I did, I was afraid I'd just embarrass myself in front of her even more. After all, I had already embarrassed myself in front of her way too many times in the past few hours. If I tried to make conversation, I knew I'd just humiliate myself even more.

While I didn't want to talk, Hatsuko didn't give up.

"So, after this is over, we can pick up some ice cream before I take you back home. How does that sound?" she asked.

Instead of answering, I just nodded my head, turning my head to look at the cabinets in front of me. A nurse was in here not too long ago, taking a couple of blood and saliva samples for some testing. I wasn't sure what the results were going to be, but whatever they were, I knew they weren't going to be great.

"Do you have a favorite ice cream place? I'll pay for it, don't worry. It'll be my treat," Hatsuko offered.

Not wanting to make the decision, I just shook my head. Honestly, I didn't have a preference when it came to ice cream. Even if I did, I wouldn't have been able to think about it much. All I could really think about was those test results.