Chapter 31

I wrapped my arms around myself as everyone just stared at me. For as long as they knew me, a hero was all they knew I wanted to be. Dropping a bombshell like that was probably the last thing they had expected to hear.

"You're lying, right?"

I lifted my head to see Ollie taking a couple of steps back as he shook his head. My lips pressed together as I wasn't sure what to say. After the traumatic events I had just witnessed, I thought he would have understood. I thought he would have just been happy that he had his big sister back.

Out of all my friends, I thought my brother would understand the most.

My head shook from side to side. "I don't want to—"

"No! You're lying! You have to be a hero!" Ollie screamed. "You're my sister! You've always wanted to be a hero!"

"Ollie," I whispered as my hand started to reach out towards him.

"No! Get away from me!" he shouted as he turned away and started running out the door.

Not knowing what else to do, I quickly scrambled up to my feet to chase after him, but someone grabbed my arm, preventing me from reaching him. I looked back, seeing Sakura shaking her head before she looked at Kaito and jerked her head. I turned to see the guy nodding his head before he took off after my brother.

Why? Ollie was my brother, not his. I needed to be the one to explain to him why I didn't want to be a hero. If I didn't, then he'd never understand.

As if sensing I was going to pull away from her to chase after them, I felt something wrap around my waist, dragging me back to the seat I was sitting in. I looked down, seeing a thick green vine wrapped around me. It wasn't going to leave, at least, it didn't look like it was.

It was just like in that nightmare I had. Was telling them how I truly felt going to be my downfall? Should I have waited a bit longer to tell them? Or at least, should I have started failing my classes instead of dropping that bombshell on them? I started to rub my hands up and down my legs as I squeezed my eyes shut.

This was all my fault. If only I had just bottled everything inside me like I always did, none of this would have happened. I would still be unhappy, but at least they wouldn't feel betrayed and abandon me.

They were all going to leave me because of this and forever be mad at me, weren't they? It was going to be everything I feared of but worse because it was actually going to happen. It was all my fault.

"Tami, look at me," I heard my friend, Sakura, say. "C'mon now, I'm just asking you to look at me."

It was now or never. I slowly lifted my head to see Sakura's green ones staring me right in the eye. She didn't look disappointed. Instead, she just gave me a soft smile.

"Kaito-kun and Oliver-kun have been getting really close lately. He even calls him 'Little Hero,' which is honestly adorable," Sakura told me. "If anyone's going to get through to him, it'll be Kaito-kun, no worries."

I nodded my head as I felt her vines slowly pull away from my waist. With them gone, I turned my head away from Sakura, so I was facing the table. My elbows hit the top of it as I let my head fall into my hands.

However long I was gone, it was enough time for Kaito to form a better relationship with my brother than the one I had. That wasn't good.

"How long have you not wanted to be a hero?" I heard Raiden ask.

"Forever," I whispered. "I-I didn't want to disappoint anyone. I-I just—I just wanted to make everyone happy, so I-I did what was expected."

"Oh, Tami-tan," Sakura exhaled as I felt her slip into the empty seat beside me. I looked to where she was over to where she was sitting. "You shouldn't have done that! I would've still called you every day after school if you went somewhere else."