3.

I gave her a weak smile, one of uncertainty. Maggie Greene. My longest best friend. I was always a grade ahead but we met in 1st/2nd grade. She was being bullied and I pushed the bullies off, punching them straight in the nose. I had to be taken home, grounded. But it was worth it.

"Maggie." Was the only words I could give her.

We stood in silence, just staring at each other through the doorframe. The tension between us was so heavy, anyone could feel it. It wasn't until I saw an older guy, Hershel. He pushed next to Maggie and was about to ask her something when he caught my eyes. His shocked expression soon turned into a grateful one, "Sonny, girl!" He pulled me into a dad hug.

I couldn't believe I was seeing them both. My eyes still trailed on Maggie, her expression was unreadable. More shocked then I was. I then realized my shock made me stiff in the hug and so I fixed it by hugging him tightly back, closing my eyes.

"Never thought I'd see you again." He said pulling from me and I smiled at him, a tear threatening to spill from my eye. I felt the same way, the thought of them actually being alive was weak.

"Come in, we'll fix you something to eat." Hershel quickly said, taking my shoulder in his hand and dragging me into the house.

It was silent between Maggie and I. She stood in the corner as Beth, Patricia, and Otis came flooding into the room. Beth the most excited since Patricia has always just been Hershel's partner. Otis was a good man who had helped me through many occasions.

"Sun!" Beth exclaimed and I turned my attention on her, a smile filled my lips. I remember Amanda and her always getting along. Even though Beth was a little older, she would always make Amanda feel important instead of leaving her behind.

"Bethy." I whispered as she hugged me tightly.

Her blonde hair was tied up in a pony, and her makeup was done which was a weird site. In fact, all of these people look liked they did every single day. Like the apocalypse wasn't happening.

"Sit down!" Hershel said, lightly nudging me towards the couch. I hesitated but then leaned down and took a seat. 

It was a little overwhelming, everyone hovering over me. Their eyes all digging into my face, every move I made, every expression I had. They took it all in. Like I was some prize. At one point I wanted to push away from them, tell them I needed air and then slip back into the woods.

But I couldn't.

I needed them, I knew I did. They were my family. They're alive. They're here. 

"Have you been alone?" Patricia asked me, studying a cut I had in my arm. I glanced towards it completely forgetting about the incident from that day.

"No. I mean-" I started but then Amanda's scream ran through my head and I chocked back a sob.

"Sonny?" I heard Beth ask me in a sweet tone sitting down next to me.

I glanced at her and then back at the rest of the judging eyes. They all looked a bit confused. Maggie still showed no emotion as I sat in front of her.

"I'm sorry. It's just a hard subject. It happened yesterday. Walkers, everywhere. We were staying at a run down house. Not a neighborhood, just a house you found once across a field. Kind of like this, except no farm." I studying each of their faces, wishing they would guess where my story was gone so I could stop telling it. They all looked confused, so I kept going.

"We went out for our run. Where we went to the nearest town and gathered some food. She- Amanda, she wanted some new crayons. Told me that she saw some at a store we were in a couple of weeks ago." My eyes trailed to my hands, the images of her lifeless body filled my brain and I knew I couldn't get through this without tears. Which I didn't want them to see so I looked at Hershel, "she died." I blurted out.