24.

7 months ago

We've been walking on this highway, my legs were burning but I knew that Rick didn't want us to stop. Lori was due in about 7 months but I knew Rick was determined to find her a perfect place. The night was when we had to be on high alert, the lack of light made it difficult to see. I held my gun in my hand as I walked beside Maggie.

"What do you miss most?" Her voice was soft, the coldness made her voice shaky, I glanced at her lazily and then took a sharp breath, "I miss reading a story with my sister every night." I admitted and watched Maggie's reaction change from tired to guilty for asking but i shook my head, "don't worry, I'm fine."

She sighed and then that's when Rick stopped in his tracks and looked behind at us, "let's go ahead and camp out in these cars. Whoever needs to sleep go ahead, Daryl and Sunshine take the first watch." He pointed, I glanced confused at Daryl who was avoiding my gaze but before I could argue with Rick he turned around to help Carl.

We set up a couple of cars for people to sleep in and Daryl and I kept watch. I leaned against a car watching one way, Daryl was a couple of feet away from me watching the other direction. Days like this made me realize how much I appreciated a strong leader like Rick. Everything he's doing is something I could never do. I could never lead people, I didn't have that much strength.

About 4 hours into our watch, I heard footsteps beside me and then the sound of his southern drawl. I haven't heard his voice in so long. It sent shivers down my spin. I wish he would talk to me about everything. About the tension between us, about our moment and everything with James.

"You can sleep, I got this." His voice was low and even though I wasn't looking at him, I could tell he was looking at the ground avoiding my eyes or even looking at me. I turned on my heel and looked at him, he was holding his crossbow in his hands keeping his eyes pierced out in the distance.

"I'm fine." I sharply said, this caused his eyes to find my gaze. He then stepped closer and watched as I placed my arms around my body. Even though I hate to admit it, this weather makes me shiver. I always had a thing about not layering up and Daryl always told me to put a coat on. I never listened.

"You're cold?" He simply asked, his emotion didn't change from the hardness his face shown. I looked away and noticed my hands were rubbing on my arms trying to warm them up. I sighed and shook my head, "Daryl, I told ya I'm fine." I snapped but Daryl rolled his eyes and then placed his crossbow on the hood on the car I was leaning on. He took his poncho off of himself and handed it to me.

I hesitated and looked between him and the piece of clothing. He tensed his arm, getting irritated. I sighed and then grabbed it from his hands slowly and then pressed it on my body. He shifted his weight away from me before giving me a small nod, "thank you." I whispered before putting it on.

"Now go get some rest, please. Yer can make it up to me some day." He remarked, his voice was a little softer. I wanted to step closer to him and just tell him everything that I was thinking. I want him to know that I don't regret anything I did, from kissing him to saving James. I wanted him to understand that I just wanted us to be okay, but at last his eyes shifted from my glance and his body faced away staring off in the distance.

I took that as a message so I turned around and headed towards one of the cars to take a short nap.

Present Day

I stared at Hershel from across the room. Maggie stood next to me, Beth was leaning against the bed with Carol and Lori. My eyes never left his chest moving up and down slowly. The sound of a door creaking open made my eyes move towards Glenn who was keeping guard outside the cell, "I thought you were rearranging the food?" He called out as Carl walked in, he had a smug look on his face and a bag.