27.

Carl, Maggie, and I stumbled through the empty corridors. None of us had anything to say but what were we supposed to? Lori was gone, Carl watched his mom die in front of him, how does a kid bounce back from that? We almost lost Hershel, that doesn't compare to Carl right now. The baby moved in my arms as I looked at her yawning. She had no idea what was going on, and I wish I didn't either. Lori did end up having a girl, but with everything happening I didn't noticed until later.

When we made it back outside everyone stood there. The sight of Rick already gave me an uneasy feeling, and I knew we were going to have to tell him. The little girl cried from my arms making everyone look over at us. Ricks expression hurt but I stayed strong for him. The sight of the baby my arms covered in her blood probably sent him off. He walked closer to me, his eyes started to fill with tears as he struggled to get out, "where is she?"

I shook my head and watched as he tried to make his way to the cellblock but Maggie stopped him with her arm. Her facial expression fell as Rick began to sob trying to keep it to himself but he couldn't. I closed my eyes rocking back and forth as the only sounds that filled the air was Rick's sobs. When I finally opened my eyes, Daryl was staring intently at me. I looked down at the floor unable to keep my emotions in for much longer. A tear began to form as the little baby squirmed in my arms. Her eyes opened as I gave her a little smile and rocked her back and forth. She looked a lot like Lori. Had her eyes and nose. Maggie touched my shoulder but I didn't take my eyes off the new life, "lets take a step back from him."

She nudged me over towards Hershel who I gave a small smile as he looked down at the little Grimes. He then touched its small head and said to us all, "she needs formula, and soon or she won't survive." Hershel said as my eyes widened at the thought of losing this little girl. I handed the baby girl to her older brother and placed my hands on my hips.

"Nope. Not her, I'll go." Daryl took the words out of my mouth, I gave him a nod, "I'll back you up." Daryl gave me a hesitant look but then he simply nodded back. I walked towards him and Beth. She gave me a smile before I took her arm and pulled her aside, "look, boys just lost his mom, he even put her down. His dad is obviously not bouncing back anytime soon." I started but she got the gist and nodded, "I'll keep an eye on him." I gave her a grateful smile and then gave her a hug.

That's when the sound of an axe being picked up made us turn around. Rick with an angry expression stood from his knelt position and made his way into the corridors. Maggie tried to call out for him but it was useless. He was grieving and this was his way of doing so, so we needed to give him his space.

"C'mon Sonny. We're losing daylight." Daryl called after me, I turned my head to see him getting his bike ready. I looked between Hershel and Carl with the baby and Daryl before heading in his direction.

•••

The wind blew through my hair the only sound was the engine of Daryl's bike. The images of Lori filled my mind. The blood still kind of dried on my hands. I cringed and heard her screams. I wanted them to get out of my head. Maybe getting the formula will help my guilty conscious. If her baby dies after her sacrifice, I will never forgive myself.

My hands rested comfortably on Daryl's vest. I wanted to break down and cry but I knew that wasn't on the menu for today. I needed to remain strong for everyone. Daryl, Hershel, Carl, and now this baby. When we slowed down we parked in front of what looked like a run down daycare. When Daryl came to a spot I hopped off and watched as he did the same and he gave me a look but I ignored it and then walked in front of him taking my hunting knife and gripping it in my hands.

The front was locked off, but we easily found a window. Daryl pushed me aside, he peeked through the window to see what we were dealing with. I turned my head in the distance to make sure no walkers were coming from a distance. When I turned my head again, Daryl had opened the window and then motioned for me to go in first, "keep a sharp eye." He whispered and I nodded before putting my legs in first and bending down to get though. When my feet touched the ground I took a sharp breath in.