42.

The calm before the storm. Everything that happened yesterday, it seemed small compared to what today brought. I was helping Carol with cleaning some dishes when a gun shot rang inside of a cell block. Then I saw the sisters Lizzie and Mika running out screaming, "help!" This made everyone jump up to their feet and run towards the cell block.

I made sure my gun was in my hand before stepping in. When I saw the horror my stomach fell. People we've saved we're now walkers eating others. Children crying as they watched their parents die. I looked around as I shot walkers straight in their heads. Carol grabbed a kid and pushed him towards Rick, that's when I noticed Lizzie and Mika's father was being bit. I took my knife and put it through its temple. I pushed it off him and helped him up.

He thanked me as we made our way to a cell. I placed him on the bed and then yelled out for Carol. She made her way quickly, "we need to amputate his arm, I'm not trained to-" she nodded and pushed me aside taking her belt off. I kept watch at the door when I heard Rick say, "all clear down here." Daryl acknowledging.

"Up here." Tyreese said from upstairs. Rick started up the stairs, Daryl following. I looked behind me to see Carol lifting the man, her eyes widened as she looked over at me. Curious I went over to her to see what was the matter. When I saw his neck, my heart sank. A huge bite mark was showing giving up hope that he would survive.

"Sunshine, go get Lizzie and Mika. Distract them for awhile." Carol said not even giving me eye contact. I was hesitant at first but eventually I turned on my heel and walked out of the room. My eyes wondered around as I saw so many dead bodies. I kinda forgot how bad it could get. A deep sigh left my mouth as i began to make my way towards the exit. Before I could leave I felt someone grab my arm, I turned and saw Daryl. I gave him a grateful smile and brought him into a hug. Although it lasted only a second it was needed.

"You okay?" He asked, I let out a sarcastic laugh and looked around, "nah, you?" He lightly sighed before shaking his head, "kinda forgot that death exist." I nodded in agreement before filling him in. On Lizzie and Mika's dad. He gave me a small kiss before he made his way up the steps. My gaze lingered on him for a couple seconds more before leaving into the heat.

I found the girls sitting together on a bench. Lizzie being the oldest was holding her sister, trying to be the brave one. When she noticed me walking towards her she stood up and ran over to me. I weakly smiled and brought her into my arms. Mika was right after, "is everyone okay?" Lizzie asked but I couldn't bare to tell her, "we don't know yet, we have to wait." I whispered before we all sat together on the bench.

•••

"Why is your name Sunshine?" Mika asked her millionth question, Lizzie slapped her arm, "Mika!" She used a warning tone but I shook my head, "it's fine." I looked at the youngest who was rubbing her arm to relieve some pain, "my parents just wanted to name me something original I guess."

"Where are they now?" She questioned.

I thought for a moment realizing I was talking to a child, but before I could answer with a mature answer Lizzie spoke up, "Mika they're dead." Shocked by her bluntness I didn't realize that Carol was making her way out. When she came up to us I realized she wanted them to say goodbye.

Lizzie was the first one to go but Mika was scared. I could tell by her eyes. They reminded me so much of Amanda. I bent down to her level and gave her a smile, "hey, everything is going to be okay. I promise." She searched my eyes before she held her pinky outwards towards me. Without leaving her eye contact I intertwined our pinky's and she nodded, "let's go." She whispered taking my hand.

When we entered the cellblock, I heard a whistle. Daryl from above nudge me to come upstairs. I looked at the little girl and stopped her, "hey, I gotta take care of some business but come find me afterward." I smiled and she nodded before following Carol and Lizzie to the room. I shook my head in sadness as I walked upstairs.