15.

Sunshine's POV

"I need to try something." Daryl said and before I could protest or even speak he leaned into me. He closed the space between us and pressed his lips onto mine. I froze for a second not kissing back. Was this happening? Was he really kissing me? In the middle of everything!

But those thoughts soon left as this tingling feeling awoke in my stomach. I smiled and then deepened the kiss pressing closer to him. He then found my hips and pressed me into him as our lips moved in together. I parted my lips slightly letting the kiss become more heated but we were quickly moved apart when we heard the door behind us open.

He then gave me a small smile before turning around and leaving me alone. Shocked, I touched my lips and then turned around to see Maggie, Lori, and Carol all staring at me. Carol and Maggie wore a grin and Lori just seemed annoyed.

•••

That night I slept in Maggie's room again, not wanting to sleep in the same room that the boy was in. But again, I couldn't sleep. I was awake thinking about that kiss Daryl and I shared.

I felt different when I was with him. I felt like I could be myself. I didn't have to act different to please him, and I didn't have to hide my feelings because it annoyed him. I sat up and looked over at Maggie who was sound asleep. I then quietly got out of the covers and headed downstairs.

That's when I remembered that James was still in that barn. And Rick told us that tomorrow we would decide if we should kill them or set them free. I cursed under my breath and headed outside towards the barn. When I opened it, I saw the boy with the wounded leg but I didn't see James. I gasp as I stepped inside and searched but it wasn't until I felt a knife against my back that I knew he was behind me.

"You either take this knife and let me go, or you die. Make a choice." His words sent shivers down my spine, I then felt the knife dig deeper as I hissed in pain.

"Fine." I yelped.

He handed me the knife and then stood carefully in front of me. His eyes searched mine as he held his arms outward, the rope was holding his wrist together and I knew he wanted me to cut them off. I could see the dents of rope where he tried himself but failed.

I started to cut the rope slowly asking him, "how'd you know I'd come for you?"

"Because, they are gonna kill me. This prick doesn't think so, but I know." He laughed and then looked down, "go faster."

"Hey, I've heard that before." I tried to make a joke but James wasn't having it, "tough crowd." I shrugged and then realized I needed to get out of this. I pretended to drop the knife, I groaned and then went to pick it up. When I looked up he wasn't looking down at me, so I decided to kick him in the balls. He groaned sending him to the floor, I then walked towards him and punched him in the face again. This sent him on his back. I straddled his lap and then began to punch him again, and again. Until he lifted his leg and kicked me off him.

This sent me towards the ground. He stood up quickly and put his foot on my wrist, the one holding onto the knife. I fought through the pain, wincing and screaming when the pressure became harder. That's when I let go of the knife and then he took his foot off, I rolled away and kicked his feet from underneath him sending him to the ground.

He huffed as we both started to go for the knife. He was quicker taking the knife in his tied hands and then pointing it towards me. I lifted my hands, he then walked over to me. I scooted backwards, but he bended down in front of me and looked in my eyes.

"Please, James." I sounded desperate as he put the knife against my throat. I tried to scream for help but I knew it was too late. By the time someone came, my throat would already be sliced and I'd be dead. His eyes screamed danger. They were darker than usual. Not how I remember. He looked crazed.