16.

I found out that Dale was going around to talk to people about the boys. The fact that they couldn't die. But I needed to be with the group. I hated it, I really didn't believe in it. Especially since James was in that barn but Daryl explained what would happen if their group were to come.

But I also knew I had to say goodbye.

When everyone was busy, I decided to sneak off towards the barn. When I opened the door I saw the two boys sitting there. Both not saying a word, just laying with their eyes closed. When they heard me, James sat up straight.

"Hey." He whispered and I gave him a weak smile, "Hey." I said back and then headed towards him.

It was silent until he nodded and then looked down at his hands, "they're gonna kill us, aren't they?" He asked and I didn't say a word, I hoped that my silence could answer his question and thank god it did.

"Hey, maybe you can change their minds-" the boy said but James just rolled his eyes and said, "Randall shut up." I looked at the poor younger boy and then at James, "I'm sorry." Is all I managed to say, he shook his head.

"I'm guessing that crossbow weirdo told you everything?"

I glared at him and said, "he's not a weirdo, and yes. We can't have you guys bring your people here. That's a threat. I care about these people too much-" I started but then James cut me off, "these people or just the crossbow guy?"

I hesitated as I searched his eyes, they had a tint of anger but also like he has given up some way. He was super easy to read.

"James, these people here. They're my family. Every single one." I said and then James just let out a cold chuckle, "then why Sunshine? Why did you leave them? Why did you leave me?" He pleaded and I froze when he said me.

He cheated on me when he was a freshman in college and I was a senior in high school. He was the one who messed it up. We were long gone, except, for the night right before I left. When I showed up at his dorm. When I asked him for,

"James, I left you all for my personal selfish reasons that I regret. But things aren't like that anymore. There are dead people walking. There are threats that need to be eliminated." I spoke the last sentence quietly as I looked down at my hands and then found my eyes back at James.

"I understand, Sonny. But just know that I would never send my group back here. I would never let them do to you what they did to those girls." His voice was soft and for a moment it sounded like it did before the apocalypse. I nodded and then heard Randall say, "yea, me either." I rolled my eyes knowing he was just trying to get out of it.

"I'm sorry James." I whispered and then I heard someone call my name from outside. I looked over my shoulder and then back over at James who was on his knees, his face was close to mine and without warning he planted a kiss on my lips.

Taken aback, I didn't kiss him back. I scooted backwards breaking the closeness. My first thought was Daryl. How we had just shared a moment like this not to long ago and now here James was, kissing me like it was-

The last time

"I'm sorry Sunshine, I just- I felt like I needed to-" he started but I just went back over to him and kissed him back. He kissed me back and then leaned in deeper to me. It was different when I kissed James. It felt secure, it felt safe. It felt like I never left and my sister was here. It felt like it was before, but it wasn't.

I pulled from him and then said out of breath, "there was nothing attached to that, it was a goodbye kiss."

James gave me a smile before I heard my name being called again. I stood from my spot on the ground and used my hands to take the dirt off my knees. I went towards the door, gave James one last look before going into the outdoors.