26.

A couple of days had passed. I spent days helping clean the courtyards. We moved cars for more protection and this prison was really starting to look like a place to live. I was walking through the courtyard when I heard a whistle and turned my head to see Rick, Daryl and Glenn moving some wood from the inner fence. Daryl gave me a smile when we locked eyes.

"Aye, come 'er." Daryl spoke coming to the chained fence. I walked over and then looked at him curiously, "what do you need?" I gave me a cheeky smile before he chuckled, "I need to have a chat with you later. I'll meet ya in your cell." He then nodded satisfied with himself and then he turned around and went to help Rick and Glenn.

I smiled to myself looking at the ground. Was this what I was waiting for all winter? Were we finally going to talk about us about everything that has happened. If anything escalates, I have to tell him about Merle. I just had to. I couldn't start anything with him if he knew I was hiding that from him. I started to walk back up to the cellblock when I noticed Hershel making his way down the steps. I gasped as I ran towards him. Lori was helping him along with Beth and Carl. When he noticed me, he gave me a huge smile. He then used his crutches to limp himself over to me.

I put my hands on my hips and then remarked happily, "look at you, already moving around." Carl then ran out in front of him and said, "hey, I'll race ya!" I chuckled as Hershel gave him a comment, "give me another day. I'll take you on."

I then realized Rick, Daryl, and Glenn had come back come their firewood gathering and noticed Hershel. I caught Daryl's eyes as I gave him a happy smile, everything felt right. Hershel was alive and moving, Daryl and I were on great terms. This place was starting to feel like home. It felt perfect. Daryl then got tense and that's when I heard the snarls as I turned my head and noticed the horror that faced us. Dozens of walkers were pouring out of that fence we had closed on the first day.

"Walkers!" Carl yelled as he took his gun out. I cursed taking mine from my belt and holding it up to a couple walkers that got too close to Hershel and I. I then pointed to the gate, Beth was already running, "go!" I yelled but Hershel hesitated, I looked at him with a stern look, "Hershel, I need ya alive!" I yelled one last time and then held my gun up high shooting a walker that got too close to him. He then noticed the fear that he was causing and nodded before moving quickly to the stairs to our cellblock with Beth.

Lori was shooting walkers down, she looked scared when she ran out of bullets. I made a run for another entrance, Maggie was following quickly. I opened the door up the stairs and thanked god we had cleared this cellblock for the other prisoners. I turned and motioned for Maggie to come, "Lori!" Maggie yelled.

Lori's eyes caught ours and then brought her son in her arms before she ran towards us. I held the door open for all of them before shutting it tightly behind us. I took a breath before I motioned quietly, "go into the corridors, it's risky but it'll lead us back to our cellblock." I whispered as we made our way through and started our journey back.

We walked beside each other, Lori walking slow due to her stomach but then she leaned against a wall and groaned in pain. Maggie quickly went to her aid and Carl stared at his mom in worry.

"Somethin's not right." She groaned as she leaned her back against the wall, she held her stomach as I understood what was happening. It was about to happen quick and fast. I heard a snarl come from behind us I then looked at all of them and nodded, "we need to find her a place, that baby is coming now!" I barked as Carl held his gun up and shot any walker that came into our view. We were about to turn a corner when a herd of walkers turned the corner. I gasped and then we turned around only to find more coming from that direction.

I shot a couple that were too close before Carl motioned for us to come into a room. He held the door open for us as we ran inside, I helped Carl shut the door and barricade it and then we made it down the tiny steps to where Lori was gripping a chain that was dangling from the ceiling. We then kept quiet watching the door we just shut to make sure no walkers found their way in. I took a calming breath before looking at Lori. That's when I loud alarm started to go off.