40.

We finally made it. After driving for about 25 minutes we made it. I leaned against the windows of the store waiting for a walker to show its face. I was sitting beside Daryl when Zach spoke up, "okay, I think I got it." I chuckled and glanced at D who rolled his eyes.

"Got what?" Michonne asked coming from behind Zach. I smiled cheerfully at her and then grinned at Zach, "he's been trying to guess what Daryl did before the apocalypse."

"Been tryin for 6 weeks now." D mumbled as Zach chuckled and walked over and sat beside Daryl on the other side of him, "hey, I'm pacing myself. One shot a day."

I straightened my posture and looked eagerly at the boy, "shoot." Daryl spoke as I waited for his other failed attempt.

"Well, the way you are at the prison. You being on the council, being able to track, you're helping people but you're still kinda being... surly, ya know beside to Sunshine over here." He gave me a smile before looking at Michonne and Daryl, "okay, big swing here."

"Homicide cop."

The words made a smile fill my face. I couldn't imagine Daryl being a cop, even though he'd look great in uniform. My eyes found michonne who was already giving me a humored look and let out a laugh.

"What's so funny?" He said to Michonne, she sucked in a breath of air before saying, "nothing. Makes perfect sense."

I gave her a smirk before leaning my hands on his shoulders and kissing him on the cheek. Daryl smirked and then swung me around to look me in the eyes, "tell em." He gave me a wink.

"Oh yeah. Ya got it spot on kid. Before the turn we lived in a gigantic house, had 3 kids, 2 dogs. He'd have to keep it hush hush but I always knew it all. Real bad ass right-" I started but Zach cut me off, "yeah I got it. I guess I'll have to keep guessing." I stuck my tongue out playfully before looking at Daryl who's face seemed to of changed. Confused I was about to ask him what happened but the sound of a walker hitting the glass behind us made us all jump to our feet.

"Ready to do this detective?" Michonne jokes and we all stood up and walked towards the entrance.

What did I say? Did I offend him in anyway? Did my joke go too far. I'll be sure to ask him later tonight but my mind wasn't going to leave it.

•••

I walked through the isles. I walked around by myself looking for anything valuable. I decided that it would be easier to wander around for awhile, it was less suspicious. Yet, when I made it to the isle I needed, I hesitated. I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the answer to the question. Maybe if I didn't take it, or maybe if I ignored the feeling that it would just go away.

My eyes lingered on the white and pink box. The box was enough to fill a pit in my stomach. I felt tears brimming my lower lash line. I can't ignore this, this wasn't something that would go away in time. I glared at the box finally gripping it roughly off the shelf and into my jacket pocket. I huffed before turning in my tracks trying to make it quickly before anyone could spot me, but I was to late.

"Sonny?"

My eyes met with Michonne's. I stared her down, shocked that she caught me. The box felt heavier in my pocket as I tried to calmly make my way towards her. Her eyes never moved off where I just placed the test. The only test I wish I would fail. I can't, I can't bring a child into this world.

"Leave it be." I hissed under my breath before moving past her to find Daryl.

After a couple of minutes of looking through the market and avoiding glances from Michonne I finally said something about earlier, "D, did I say something out there? Ya know about the whole Zach guessing." Daryl tensed his shoulders and then turned his head towards me. He then shook his head and took his fingers with mine, intertwining them.

"My own thoughts screwed me. Ya were talking all that fun stuff about a big house, kids, a life. I just wish I could give that to you. For us."

His words shocked me. I never really thought about anything like that with us. Having kids, being in a house, the thought actually made me cringe a little. Not running? Not surviving? What a weird thing to think about. Suddenly my pocket felt heavier. I can't bring a kid here. Not after what happened to Lori. Judith would never know what life was like, how it felt to walk through the street without a gun to your side. If I am pregnant... my stomach turned at the thought.

"I love you Daryl. Even though I wish we met before people wanted to eat us, I am happy with where we are now." I took my hand from his and placed it on his cheek, "being with you makes living in this world easier." He smiled brightly before kissing my palm. We were about to go back to normal when a loud crash and glass shattering sent our attention towards the sound.

Gathering our senses and alertness back we rushed to the area of the noise finding Bob pinned underneath a shelf that had fallen. Wine was poured all over him, glass shards everywhere. Daryl held his flashlight up turning it on to look to see where Bob was stuck, Tyreese and Glenn met up with us.

"What happened?" I heard Zach asked from a couple isles away. I responded, "nothing, Bob is pinned near wine and beer but it's not bad."

I watched as Daryl and Glenn started to move the shelf but struggled to really lift the heavy boards. I was about to help when I heard a loud crash in the ceiling and then a snarl. I gasped stepping closer to Daryl holding my gun in my hands quickly. A walker dangling by his guts and some wires filled my eyes. My stomach curled in knots as I looked away from the awful sight. Glenn followed suit looking at us, "I think it's time to go now." I nodded agreeing.

"Bobs still stuck let's get him out." Daryl pointed as him and Tyreese began moving quickly to get him out from underneath. Yet more and more walkers kept falling from the roof and quickly it started to become too many for us to handle.

As they started to walk towards us I took my gun and started to shoot any that were in my sight. Daryl pointed at me to get closer. I nodded and continued to shoot. I heard the screams of Bob but I couldn't help because I would risk being bit. I continued to shoot until my bullets were out. I cursed putting it back in my holster and then taking my knife out and using it on walkers that were near me. Daryl kept a close eye as he shot walkers with arrows and hit ones that got too close.

Daryl then got on higher ground to deal with walkers and realized that the roof was about to collapse on us. We needed to get out now. I looked over at bob still pinned and saw he was trying to kill a walker with his hands. I swallowed my puke that was coming up and ran over to him using the heel of my shoe to smash its brain to help Bob out. He gave me a thankful nod as I yelled at Zach and Daryl to come help get him out. They both ran to me, Zach holding up the shelf with Daryl's help and I grabbed Bob's jacket to get him out. When he was released I moved quickly towards the door everyone following.

That's until I heard a scream. I turned around and saw a walker attached to Zach's leg. I screamed as I tried to run back and help him but Daryl grabbed me and shook his head pushing me towards the door, "he's already gone. You go back the building will collapse on you."

As soon as we got out of the building we turned around and watched it cave in. I felt hot tears brim my eyes as we all continued towards the cars. He died. There's nothing we could've done. My mind was fully on Beth and what we were gonna tell her.

•••

When we got back to the car I sat in the passenger seat next to Michonne who decided to drive. Glenn in the back. I kept my eyes focused on the road not wanting to remember or relive what I just saw. But his screams still filled my ears.

"He was a good guy." Glenn remarked adding to the thickness of the air. I smiled and nodded turning my head and looking at Glenn, "yes. He was."

I turned my attention towards Michonne who was avoiding me. Her eyes were trained on the road in front of her. She must've been deep in thought or just didn't want to discuss anything of what happened. Me, Zack, the test. Any of it.