Two

Kaycee woke up on October 5th to the rays of sun pouring through her windows, enveloping her in warmth. She nuzzled her face in between her white pillows to block the light from her eyes, trying to get back to sleep. She tossed and turned for another five or so minutes, trying to avoid getting out of bed to close the blinds, but quickly realized it was useless, and sat up in defeat.

She swung her legs over the side of her bed, and her feet came in contact with the cool wood paneled floors, making her shiver. She pushed herself up and padded over to the window, where she took in the sights of the world outside. It was a sunny Los Angeles morning in early October, the sky a light blue with slight purple and orange hues, indicating the sun had only been above the horizon for a short time. Kaycee retreated to her bedside table, turning her phone screen on; the white numbers decorated the screen and mocked her, 8:46 am.

Reluctantly realizing that she was wide awake, she sighed and sat in her bed, phone in hand, scrolling through notifications. She quickly noticed a pattern of the types of edits fans were posting. October 5, 2018. One month since the premiere of World of Dance Season 2 Divisional Finals. One month since the world saw Sean and Kaycee be eliminated by seven tenths of a point. Although it had been several months for Sean and Kaycee to process the elimination themselves, their wounds were reopened upon seeing social media explode with remorse for the duo. Kaycee had butterflies in her stomach, and not the good kind. Every time she saw anything related to the show, she immediately began missing Sean.

She had seen Sean here and there these past couple of months, but if she was being honest, she didn't think that was enough. It was difficult going from seeing your best friend everyday to only seeing them once a week, to once every other week, and sometimes, only once a month. The two texted everyday, and called each other when they could, but that was drastically different than being in each others presence, which they both craved; though neither would admit it to the other.

Kaycee knew that she thought of Sean in a different way than she thought of her other friends. She knew that she felt something different when she was with Sean than she did with anyone else, even Jack. But, that's what a partnership is supposed to feel like, it's supposed to be optimal trust and admiration.

Every once in awhile she questioned if she should really be with Jack because everything she felt with Sean was everything that was missing with Jack. She had only known Jack for less than a year though, so the trust she had with Sean would develop eventually, right?

Kaycee was quickly removed from her own thoughts when her phone rang.

She lazily answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Kaycee! Wanna know something cool?" The voice on the other end was one she recognized well.

She smiled, "What's that, Jack?" She knew full well what he was talking about, but she figured she'd let him get it out.

She could practically hear him smile on the other end, "It's been six months of us, Kayc, that's pretty awesome, isn't it?" She bit her bottom lip at the use of her nickname, the one that Sean always calls her.

"Oh, really? I didn't know," she giggled, then paused before asking, "Are we still going out later?"

"Why wouldn't we? You didn't make other plans, did you?" Jack teased, Kaycee rolled her eyes and shook her head, "No, of course not."

"Awesome, I'll be over at 6, our reservations are at 6:30." Jack stated.

Kaycee smiled, "That sounds perfect, I'll see you then." The two hung up and Kaycee finally got out of bed with the intention of staying awake for the rest of the day. She went through her normal morning routine, showering, changing, brushing her teeth, and then loudly clomped downstairs to the kitchen, where she found that the rest of her family was already awake.