Fifteen

"There's a parking lot right there, dad." Kylie blurted, lurching herself forward in between the driver and passenger seats.

"That's one-way, Kylie." Brad spoke, aligning himself parallel to a car parked on the side of the street, "I'd rather parallel park in front of the building if I can."

Kylie sat back in her seat, crossing her arms in front of her. "Why you would intentionally parallel park when there are other options is beyond me," she mumbled.

"Backseat driver much?" Kaycee asked, unbuckling herself and stepping out onto the sidewalk.

"When you start trying to parallel park, you'll understand." Kylie retorted, following her family through the restaurant doors.

Kaycee shrugged, catching the door from Kylie's lackluster attempt at holding it. She scanned the restaurant, her eyes peeled for the Lew family. Laura spotted them first, waving the two girls and her husband along as she led the way to the back of the room.

Kaycee spotted Sean first, sitting across from Miya, at the opposite side of the table as everyone else. When he caught her eyes, he smiled, standing to greet the entire family. He approached the rest of her family first, taking his time exchanging formalities. She waited patiently, watching him with silent admiration; he made his way to her, yanking her arm abruptly to pull her into a hug. She laughed into his chest, wrapping her arms around his torso tightly, keeping him in her grasp as long as she could.

As quickly as it had begun, Sean let her go, finding his way back to his seat. Kaycee followed, sliding into the chair beside him, on the other side of Kylie.

The two families fell into easy conversation, the adults conversing about their careers, catching each other up on the happenings of the last couple of weeks. Kylie and the Lew sisters talked about college; a subject that the two younger teens had completely no knowledge on.

Seeing as they couldn't relate to either object of discussion, Kaycee turned her back to Kylie so she was facing Sean full on. He turned to return her gaze, a forkful of food halfway to his mouth.

He set his fork down onto the plate. "Can I help you?"

Kaycee shrugged, motioning to the others. "They're talking about adult stuff."

Sean's brow furrowed, "That doesn't answer my question, Kayc." He shoveled another bite into his mouth. "What duff that haff to do wiff me?"

"Don't talk with your mouth full." Kaycee scolded, her face scrunched in disgust. She nudged his shoulder, "I'm bored, talk to me."

Sean groaned, cramming another forkful into his mouth. He turned to Kaycee, making sure to finish chewing before speaking, as to not aggravate her.

"How's it going, Kaycee Rice?" He asked, putting his hands in his lap and giving her his undivided attention.

She stared at him blankly, "Don't act so excited to talk to me, Sean Lew."

"You're terrible at keeping conversations going." He laughed, shaking his head. "So I'll ask again, how's it going?"

Kaycee rolled her eyes, "It's been better, but I'm not complaining."

"That sounds like a complaint to me." He smiled at her, and she returned his gesture weakly. His smile faltered at her reaction, he elbowed her forearm. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"No-," Kaycee shook her head, pulling her lips into a bigger smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "I'm good, see? Just figuring some things out, the usual."

Sean paused, debating if he should ask about Jack; she hadn't mentioned him since that night. He thought things had blown over, and that was why she didn't bring him up, but judging by her comment just then, he wasn't so sure.