Twenty-one

Kaycee had taken a page out of Sean's book and started avoiding Jack. He'd text her and she'd reply with minimal word answers. When he'd call her, she would feel herself dissociate from the conversation to the point where she wouldn't even hear what he was saying. At first, if Jack noticed, he didn't say anything, but then the conversations got shorter and less personal. Kaycee would go a full day without saying anything to him, which evidently irritated him. After a week and a half, he'd had enough, and nearly demanded that he see her.

She did everything she could to push it off, she needed more time to think about things, they settled with a lunch date at a restaurant this coming weekend. In the meantime, Kaycee knew she needed to talk to someone, the more she held in her feelings, the worse she felt.

So who was she supposed to go to? She couldn't go to her friends, they all knew Jack too well, and most of them had never even been in a relationship. She couldn't go to her parents, this was a conversation far too awkward to have with them. She definitely couldn't go to Sean, even though he was wise, she felt like things between the two were almost too comfortable.

That only left one person. Kaycee stood in front of Kylie's door, petrified to knock, because once she did, she'd have to follow through and actually talk about her problems. She wasn't the type of person to ask for advice, especially not about boys.

She took a deep breath, clenching her sweaty hand into a fist and knocking on the wooden door once, twice, three times. A few seconds passed and Kaycee didn't hear anything, so she knocked again, louder this time. Seconds later, she heard a sigh and footsteps padding toward the door. She watched the doorknob turn and the door swing open, revealing a puzzled-looking Kylie.

"What's wrong with you?" Kylie asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Can I come in?" Kaycee asked meekly. "I need to talk."

Kylie's eyes instantly softened, moving to the side so Kaycee could enter her room. Kaycee obliged, walking in and sitting herself down on the end of Kylie's bed.

"You look sick, you're so pale." Kylie uttered, shutting her bedroom door and joining her sister on her bed. "What's wrong?"

Kaycee moved her gaze from her lap to the older girl in front of her. "You have to promise me something first."

"Okay, and that is..?"

"It's about Jack." Kaycee started, "And I know you're not his biggest fan, but please listen to everything I say and give me honest, unbiased advice. That's all I'm asking."

Kylie nodded slowly, gauging the seriousness of the girl in front of her. Upon sensing the gravity of the situation, she complied. "Yeah, of course."

Kaycee let go of a breath she didn't know she was holding. She looked up to her older sister with fear in her eyes. "Bailey said that Jack and I are like parallel lines, we should've never crossed."

Kylie cocked her head to the side. "Okay, that's actually a really good comparison. Continue."

"She said Jack and I have more potential as individuals than we do as a couple." Kaycee continued, picking at her cuticles as she did so. "And that my reasons for getting back together with him were basically foolish."

"What were your reasons?"

Kaycee sighed, "I only really had one reason, and I said that I felt like Jack and I had so much potential as a couple and that I didn't want to give it up."

"You've been together for months, you should have more than just 'potential' to hang onto." Kylie quipped, smiling ever-so-slightly.

Kaycee groaned, throwing her head back in exasperation. "That's exactly what Bailey said!"