Thirteen

Kaycee sat at Jack's dining room table two days after she'd arrived back from Boston. His older sister, Paige, sat across from her, tapping away at her phone screen, not paying Kaycee any mind. Immediately to her left sat Jack's younger brother, Charlie, gnawing down on his grilled cheese, with very poor manners, if Kaycee did say so herself.

"Charlie, chew with your mouth closed." Paige sighed, not bothering to look up from her phone screen.

Kaycee watched a mischievous grin plaster itself on Charlie's face, who took an even larger bite than before, chewing it obnoxiously, crumbs spilling out of his mouth as he did so. It took every bone in Kaycee's body to comply in order for her to keep herself from cringing.

Paige finally looked up from whatever was keeping her busy on her phone, her face neutral as she took the plate and the remaining scraps of Charlie's dinner, setting it far back on the kitchen counter, where Charlie wouldn't be able to reach.

"We have company." Paige blurted, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring at the twelve year old that sat at the table in front of her.

"You don't even live here." Charlie rebutted, mocking Paige's stance.

As irritating as Charlie could be, Kaycee found herself siding with him. Mainly because her and Paige had never seemed to see eye to eye. Not that they saw each other all that much, which Kaycee was grateful for.

Paige graduated from UC Davis with an undergraduate degree in Design last May. Instead of moving back in with her family, like her parents had suggested, Paige met some guy and moved into an apartment in Vacaville, which is about 45 minutes from Sacramento. Meaning that she was now seven hours away from where her family resided in Pasadena, sometimes even further depending on the traffic.

Kaycee met Paige for the first time when she rode with Jack and Charlie the entire seven hours to her graduation, their parents already there as they were helping Paige move into her new apartment. When Kaycee introduced herself, Paige nearly ignored her, having the audacity to roll her eyes when she'd stuck out her hand, which, Paige never shook.

"You're the reason I don't live here anymore, you brat." Paige spat, rolling her eyes. Her gaze found Kaycee, who sat quietly at the table, waiting patiently for Jack to finish up with his shower and make his way downstairs.

"I don't know why my parents won't just let you two stay home alone, you're both capable of watching this monster." Paige muttered, moving her eyes back to the phone in her hand, "When I told them I was coming for a visit, I was picturing myself partying with my friends tonight, not babysitting a sixteen, seventeen and a twelve year old."

Kaycee didn't answer. Every time she spoke to Paige she was shot down by the entitled blonde. As far as Kaycee was concerned, Charlie wasn't the brat in this family.

Jack shuffled down the hallway moments later, his brown hair damp from his shower. He smiled when he made eye contact with Kaycee, walking over to her and squeezing her shoulder.

Jack looked at Charlie, then to Paige, his brow furrowed in confusion, "Did you feed Charlie?"

"I did. But he started chewing like an asshole so I took it away." Paige replied, pointing to the sandwich on the counter and mirroring Jack's face by knitting her brows together.

Jack rolled his eyes, strolling over to the counter and retrieving the sandwich, setting it down in front of Charlie, "I hope you never have kids. I feel like you were the one being an ass, not him."

The twelve year old nodded, finishing his food quietly with no obnoxious chewing. Kaycee bit her lip to keep a chuckle from escaping her lips. She was glad to know she wasn't the only one who found Paige's behavior to be intolerable.