Twenty-seven

The family had made it to Solvang a few hours ago, parking the RV and opting to take in the sights for a few hours before heading back to settle down for the night. Despite Kylie's incessant lingering gazes, Kaycee hadn't budged the entire day, not wanting to talk about everything that had happened in front of her parents.

Not that anything else happened, anyway. Kaycee had fallen asleep with her head resting on Sean's shoulder and woke up two hours later to her head lying in his lap, his fingers entangled in her hair and his mouth parted slightly in a deep sleep. As peaceful as she had been, she forced herself to get up so that no one would ask questions, and then she prayed that no one had seen them during their lengthy snooze. By the time she and Sean had fully woken up, they were parked at the campground, which didn't leave any room for anything else to happen.

But she knew that once Kylie got the opportunity to pounce, she wasn't going to be able to get out of talking. Unfortunately for her, Kylie's opportunity came far sooner than she would've liked; Sean and Kaycee left the campfire and headed inside, Sean grabbing his things and running to take a shower in the communal campground bathroom, and Kaycee setting up her things to go to bed. Her parents and Kylie remained outside sitting around the roaring fire, wine glasses in hand, but Kaycee knew that as soon as Sean left, Kylie would sneak inside and start interrogating her.

And she wasn't wrong, not even sixty seconds after Sean exited the RV, the door swung open again and Kylie slid inside. Kaycee pretended as though she didn't notice, continuing to spread her blanket out on the pull-out couch her and Kylie would be sharing.

"I'd ask if you want to talk about it, but I'm not giving you the option, we're talking." Kylie quipped, flopping herself on the freshly made bed.

"I just made that, it was all nice and neat and you ruined it." Kaycee humphed, pressing her lips into a pout.

"I don't care." Kylie waved her comment off with her hand, "What happened? You obviously didn't get into a fight or anything because you're both acting normal...well, as normal as you typically act."

Kaycee shrugged, "Not much honestly, neither of us beat around the bush, it was kind of a straightforward conversation, nothing more, nothing less."

"I have a feeling it wasn't completely a straightforward conversation, but I'm not going to fixate on the little details." Kylie pushed herself back up to a sitting position. "So what now?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Kylie started, biting down on the inside of her cheek in thought. "Like what are you now? Did you even talk about that?"

"No. But when I brought up the fact that I'd have to deal with him for the rest of my life, he got this stupid grin on his face." Kaycee snickered, recalling the moment with ease. "And then we napped. We didn't really make time to talk about whatever comes next."

"Ew, that's adorable, I might just throw up." Kylie faked a gagging motion, which sent the two of them into a fit of giggles. "Okay, but in all seriousness, figuring out what you two are is probably the next step."

"This is why I was dreading talking to you." Kaycee groaned. "I knew you'd say that."

"What's so bad about it?"

"I don't know. I'm comfortable with where we're at right now, I feel like if we talk about what comes next that'll just add unnecessary stress."

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." Kylie retorted.

"Did you really just use one of my own favorite quotes against me?" Kaycee asked in mock upset, reaching to her side to grab a pillow and throwing it at her sister. "That's totally unfair!"