Nineteen

"What do you mean you're not coming to Sean's Christmas party?" Tahani screeched over Facetime.

Kaycee flinched, the obnoxious scream coming through at an incredible volume through her phone. "Stop yelling, it's not that big of a deal!"

"It kind of is." Tahani quipped, shaking her head. "What, did he not invite you or something?"

"No, he did." Kaycee answered. "But Jack and his family invited me over that night."

Tahani was silent on the other end, something unusual for the brunette. The only noise Kaycee could hear was her own breathing, she had almost thought their connection was disturbed, but then Tahani finally spoke.

"You chose your jackass boyfriend over your best friends?"

"Why does everyone call him that?" Kaycee whined. She sighed, trying to formulate her next sentence carefully. "And Sean and I aren't exactly on speaking terms right now."

"Still?" Tahani asked. Kaycee had confided in her about the situation that happened with Sean the night of Jojo's class. "Have you even tried talking to him?"

"T, I've tried everything." She cried. "I've invited him to classes I was going to, we both were working in Downtown LA one day and I asked if he wanted to get lunch, my parents had a family Christmas party and we invited him, just him! He declined everything!"

"Yeah that doesn't sound good." Tahani replied, pursing her lips in thought. "Did he have an excuse?"

"At first he did, and then as time went on, he'd just flat out say no!" Kaycee responded incredulously.

Tahani hummed, "That's not like him."

"And even when he invited me to that Christmas party, it was last minute." Kaycee continued, "The party is tomorrow and he invited me yesterday."

Tahani exhaled, letting her head fall back onto her pillow. "You've gotta figure that shit out."

"You don't say." Kaycee replied, sarcasm laced in her voice. "Will you, I don't know, maybe talk to him tomorrow?"

"Not a chance." Tahani snorted, "You've gotta solve your own problems. I can't do everything for you."

"You sound like my mom." Kaycee cringed, furrowing her brows. "You do have a point, though."

"Always do." Tahani smiled. She glanced at her watch, then looked back at Kaycee. "I have to go, it's getting late. Have fun with Jackass tomorrow."

"Jack." Kaycee corrected. "Just Jack."

"Same thing." Tahani shrugged, waving her free hand at the screen. "Love you, call me later."

"Mhm, have fun at Sean's." Kaycee declared, pressing the red "end call" button and hanging up.

She set her phone on her nightstand, a picture frame catching her eye as she did so. It was a photo of herself and Sean, she had taken the picture off of the ceiling in Hawaii and stored it in her suitcase.

The picture was the still-shot from the end of their performance in "the Cut," a dance that they both considered a breakthrough moment. She loved the picture so much that she bought a frame for it and placed it on her nightstand so she could see it every night before she went to sleep.

Now she stared at it, nearly bursting into tears of frustration. She was frustrated with Sean, how he was seemingly throwing away their special bond for reasons that she couldn't understand. Him ignoring her in Boston was bad, but this was one thousand times worse.

She lay down in her bed, pulling her comforter up to her chin, but not before turning the picture upside down on her nightstand, so she wouldn't be reminded of the sadness she was feeling.