Chapter One, The Summoning

Liz sighed and slammed her forehead on the keyboard. "I finally finished at the deadline," she muttered. "Now it's time to submit."

     Her cat meowed from behind her.

     Liz looked over her shoulder at her ginger brown cat. "Come here, Johnny. Mommy's finished," she cooed. Her cat purred as he walked over and rubbed his head against her leg. "I'm sorry for not giving you enough attention these past 14 days. Mommy's just been working so hard to get this project done. I'll make it up with a bunch of cuddles and food!" Liz exclaimed. She picked up Johnny and nuzzled his nose with her own.

     The cat meowed and licked her nose. Liz giggled and cuddled him more. "Okay, I understand. I'll get some food for you and me! What do you want Johnny? Chinese food? Sea food?"

     The cat purred when it heard "sea food."

     "Sea food it is!" She placed the cat down and walked over to her coat hanger. She nearly tripped over the clothes that were scattered around her room.

     Liz was living in a messy apartment with empty cup noodles, empty water bottles, and unwashed clothes lying everywhere. She was working as a game designer with a low pay. Gaining basic needs and necessities was just as hard for her as for an average man trying to buy a Tesla car.

     Liz took down her brown jacket and slipped it on while reaching for her purse. "I'll be back Johnny, so don't be a bad boy," she requested. "Goody bye Johnny!" She exited her apartment and closed the door behind her. "I wonder if I should get tuna?" she muttered to herself as she locked the door. "No, that's too expensive. I only have... 40 dollars? Maybe he'll settle for salmon."

     Liz walked down to the first floor, still in her house slippers. She wasn't paying attention when she exited with them. When she got to the bottom, something felt off. The owner wasn't there. Hamorand usually hung out in the lobby, smoking his cigar and spouting out excuses to why there wasn't a smoke alarm where he sat. He always claimed that it was perfectly fine, but today, he wasn't there.

     Liz looked at the empty counter for a second, but continued on her journey. "I wonder if he's getting fish too," she whispered as she looked up at the camera in the top left corner and waved at it before exiting into the cold outside.

     The wind was harsh that day and it was snowing. Her feet dragged against the two-inch deep snow. She shivered and pulled her coat tighter against her body. "It's cold," she said to herself out loud.

     Even the streets were covered in snow. There wasn't anyone in sight. Most of the buildings didn't have their lights on except for a few. "I knew that they were closed for a holiday, but I didn't know it was this many buildings," Liz muttered as she walked over to the open sea food restaurant. It was one of the only building with the lights on and open.

     She tugged on the door and opened it up. The warm heat and welcoming scent of cooked fish smacked her as she entered. She gave a warm sighed as she stepped in. "It's so nice in here," she exclaimed.

     She stomped on the black welcome mat before walking on the newly dusted white tiles. The tables were lined up nicely in front of her. There were three rows of three tables, each with the usual condiments.

     The cashier popped up from behind the counter at the front. "Welcome!" he shouted out loud, startling Liz a bit. He wore the most chaotic color-schemed Christmas sweater anyone has ever seen. The front was slightly covered by a nearly see-through apron that was stained with dark red spots. He had messy glistening tan hair covered in sweat and a big bright smile. His arms were huge, muscular, and covered in scars.