Chapter Thirteen, The Truth

Liz gasped and sat up. The last thing she remembered was feeling something stab her neck. She felt her throat and sensed that she was healed. She gave a relieved sigh and looked around. Liz was in a large dark room that looked like the average living room. She was sitting on the floor that was covered with a brown carpet. In front of her was a closed window with Christmas lights hanging loosely on them. To her right and behind her were two large dark blue couches. At the very far right, a kitchen with one light illuminated the room. Farther behind was the dining table with six vacant seats.

     On the floor next to her was Nap. She was snoring so loud that she thought the ceiling would fall down. She laid messily on the ground with her arms and legs spread out in strange arrangements. Drool inched out of the side of her mouth. Her body was still covered in bandages, but they were replaced with new ones. Her jacket was being used as a pillow.

     Lying on Nap's stomach was Philip. He was holding her thumb. His head was rested on Nap's chest. He liked how it felt when her chest rose up and down and vibrated from her breathing.

     Their Servants were nowhere to be seen. Not even Shuten was next to her. "Enkidu?" she quietly called as to not disturb Nap and Philip.

     "I see that you're awake," John said from behind. He entered through the front door and shut it behind him. "How are you right now?"

     "I'm fine, don't worry," Liz reassured. She looked away and but her thumb. She still remembered how John looked like when they fought Selene. She became more aware of his presence.

     "Hey Elizabeth, I wanted to talk to you about something," he said as he put a plastic bag on the dining table. It was filled with food that he scavenged from empty food markets. They were still in good condition. He ruffled his wet hair as he approached her.

     "Talk about what?" Liz asked. She took her thumb out of her mouth and clutched the blanket that covered her.

     He sat down beside her and took off his soaking jacket. "I wanted to say sorry. I got scared and chickened out."

     "What do you mean?" Liz looked at him and unclenched her fist.

     John was looking down at the ground and rubbing the back of his head with Johnny walking up to him and laying on his lap. "When we fought Selene, I got really scared and I couldn't move. I looked to you for help since you seemed to most independable, but I saw that you were scared too and depending on us too. I'm sorry for not being as strong as you might think I am."

     "Oh. No no, it's okay!" Liz turned around and scooted up to him. "Everybody's scared of something, and it was a situation where anybody would've been afraid." She smiled at him and realized why he looked at her like that. He was scared and didn't know how to react. His face just went default. "It's alright."

     "See what I mean? You are stronger than I am," John said with a sad chuckle. "I've been acting tough this whole time because I wanted to..." he blushed and scratched his chin. "I wanted to look strong and cool..."

     "Awww, that's cute," Liz joked. "So you've been scared this entire time and have just been winging it?"

     "Yeah... isn't that what all adults do?" he chuckled.

     Liz laughed with him. "Um... so what were you gonna say while we were fighting Selene?"

    "I honestly kind of forgot. I think I was probably gonna say 'I'm not gonna give up that easily,' or something like that. Just something cool," John answered. "But I was cut off by that stupid Archer. He stole my moment."