Chapter Sixteen, No Choice

John and Liz were out of breath. Liz placed her hands on her knees and sighed. "Do you think that we're far enough?" she asked.

     "We could be. Let's rest in that alleyway for a bit. I'm kind of thirsty, and I'm no baby expert, but I think Philip is getting hungry," John replied.

     "We're gonna rest in an alleyway?! Do you want us to get mugged?!" Liz complained.

     John looked at her with a confused look and shook his head. "Are you an idiot? There's like..." he counted his fingers, "atleast three of us in this world. Nobody's gonna mug us."

     "If anyone's the idiot, it's you."

     John sighed. "Whatever. Let's just go." He quickly ran to the dark alley with Liz right behind him. The only light that lit up the way was the faintly glowing "exit" sign on the other side of the alleyway. They ran to the door and tried to open it, but it was locked. "Damn." He looked around the place and shrugged. "It's a crappy atmosphere, but whatever. Let's sit right here and rest for now." He slid against the ground and sat down on the wet floor while looking back up at Liz. "Hey, I hate this as much as you do."

     Liz rolled her eyes and sat down beside him. "So you have anything on you?" she asked.

     "Yeah, I brought a bag of snacks just in case. I got some crackers, a few sandwiches, and some juice boxes," John answered. In his arms, Philip yawned and stretched his arms. "Hey buddy, how are you?" John asked Philip.

     Philip's eyes were still cloudy from being tired. He nodded and rubbed his eyes.

     "John, give him a sandwich," Liz said as she took Philip from his arms. "I also want one too."

     "Coming right up." He dug through his blue backpack that he picked up from the house and took out three sandwiches. He gave one to Liz, Philip, and he kept the last one. "They're just simple ham sandwiches. Sorry for not making them to your liking."

     "It's fine. I'll eat anything at this point," Liz replied. She unwrapped the sandwich from the tinfoil and began to chow down on it.

      Philip did the same and ate it in small bits. "T... thank you..." he muttered.

     "No problem bud. We Masters have to stick together," John said with a smile as he swallowed the sandwich while he wiped his mouth and looked back at Philip. Philip looked worried and his eyes wandered away from his food. "What's wrong Philip?" John asked.

     "I... I received a message from Mr. Emiya..." he whispered shyly. "I'm not sure if it was a dream... or something like that..."

     "Well, tell us anyways. It could be important," Liz suggested as she scooted closer.

      "Well... Mr. Emiya said to me in my dream that they were losing and that he had some important information," Philip explained.

     Liz took another bite of her sandwich and thought for a moment. "Yeah, it's a dream," she finally answered. "How can four Servants lose against a single Master?"

     John shrugged. "It's possible. Don't forget about David and Goliath. Anyways, what information did Emiya have?"

     "He said... um... I think he said he found out what magic a cow uses," Philip said as he took another bite.

     "A cow?" John repeated. "Ohh, Matou... wait, he found out what magic he uses?! What did he say?"

     "Ummm... he said that a cow could fre—"

     At the front of the alleyway, an explosion shook the group. "I found you," Matou said from the cloud of dust.

      "Oh shoot. Let's go!" John yelled. He quickly got up and carried Philip in his arms while trying to open the exit door once more. "Damn, it's still locked!"