Chapter Ten, Suspicion

Shuten slid to a stop in front of a hotel. "Hmmm, this should be good enough," Shuten said as she set Liz on the ground.

Liz was green and wobbled around. "I hate this..." she mumbled.

Enkidu flew from above and landed near her. "Are you okay, Master?" she asked as she supported her with her shoulder.

Liz nodded. "Yeah, let's just get inside."

Shuten went to her other arm and supported her to the elevator. Luckily, the elevator was open and active. "Shuten, can you grab a key card to one of the rooms?" Enkidu asked. Shuten nodded and went behind the counter to find one. "What's wrong, Master? You seem down."

Liz looked at the ground. She didn't know what was going on with John. The way he looked at her scared her. "...Do you think we can trust our new friends?" Liz finally asked.

Enkidu thought for a moment. "Hmmm, I wouldn't call them 'friends,' per se, but more of temporary allies. As for trusting them..." Enkidu paused and stayed silent for a minute. "I... I would trust in your opinion, Master, whether you trust them fully or not, I will believe in you."

"Found one," Shuten announced. "Is room 217 okay with you?"

Liz nodded. "It's fine. Let's go up then."

Enkidu presses the up button of the elevator. The top of the door glowed and showed the number five. A down arrow was to the side. A low rumbling noise could be heard and the elevator slowly came down to the first floor.

"I overheard your conversation," Shuten said as she lifted up Liz's arm and hung it over her shoulder. "Why did you ask this in the first place? Are you scared of someone? Something?"

The elevator's number changed to four.

"No, it's nothing, really. I was just asking," Liz reassured. Liz gave a nervous laugh, and fog came out of her mouth. The building was cold from the freezing weather outside.

The elevator's number changed to three.

"Ho? Really?" Shuten giggled and tilted her head to the side. "Maybe I should guess who you don't trust, fufu."

Liz smiled and shook her head. "Really, it's nothing though."

The elevator's number stayed at three.

"Is it Nap?" Shuten guessed. "She barely joined you alliance and she's very dangerous." Liz stayed silent and kept looking at the ground.

The elevator's number still stayed at three.

"Is it Philip? But I guess not, because he's just a small child, but you never know," Shuten said with a smile. She licked her lips and hummed. "Or..."

The elevator's number was stuck on three.

"Is it..."

"Master, look!" Enkidu shouted. She pointed at the elevator's number. Liz looked up and saw what was going on. The elevator was stuck on the third floor, but why?

Liz gasped and realized what was happening. "Someone's here," she whispered.

Shuten frowned and sighed. "How dare they interrupt my dear girl talk with my sweetie."

The elevator's number countdown resumed and turned into two.

"Enkidu!" Liz limped backwards with Shuten's help.

Enkidu nodded and summoned a bright golden blade into her hand. "Get to cover, Master," Enkidu advised.

The elevator finally reached the first floor and made a chime noise. The doors stayed closed and didn't open.