Chapter Nine, The Guilty

Liz was shocked at her own revelation. She always thought that she was unspecial, an extra body to cast away into the endless sea. She never knew that she was actually important, but she didn't want to be this kind of important.

     Her hands were shaking and clammy. "You gotta be kidding me," Liz muttered as she stepped back. Her foot slipped on a rogue piece of metal and she fell back, but Enkidu caught her.

     Enkidu was staring at Selene with a raging fire. "If you think I'll give up my Master that easily, your wrong," she said as a golden blade formed into her good hand.

     Shuten stepped forward. "She's my toy, not yours," she giggled.

     Liz smiled and nodded. She didn't have to worry. Her new friends wouldn't ditch her that easily, even if they just met. "Y-yeah, they're my friends, and we'll take you down." She looked at John. "Isn't that right, Jo—"

     Liz's blood froze. John stared at her with blank dead eyes. He was expressionless and showed no remorse. His presence started to make her anxious and speeded up her breathing. He kept staring at her and finally looked back to Selene.

     "J-John?" Liz whispered. She was drenched with sweat and her heartbeat had never heated so fast from fear before. She looked around and saw that no one saw what she saw. Their attention was focused on Selene. Liz's head snapped back to John as she heard him take a deep breath.

     John opened his mouth to speak. "I—"

     A high pitched whistle pierced their ears. They all winced. From the sky, a sword came flying down and penetrated Selene's back. "Gah!" Selene stepped back and clutched her shoulder. Three more swords flew out of nowhere and stabbed her body all over.

     Then the sound of a string being pulled destroyed the silence and Emiya fired an arrow into her head. "You talk too much," Emiya commented as he summoned another arrow.

     "Archer!" Liz yelled in shock.

     "John, get my Master out of here and get to cover," Emiya answered. He pulled back the arrow and fired again.

     John nodded and ran into the clusters of containers, leaving Liz behind with a burning question in her mind: what was John thinking?

     Selene screamed in frustration and pulled the swords out of her body. "You stupid Guardian! Fine, I'll take her by force!" She ripped the arrow out of her head and summoned her weapon. A handle formed with hundreds of small blocks as the blade. They had sharp edges, but they looked like jenga blocks at the same time, as if they would fall apart at the first hit. "Fengari Kordela!"

     The blade of her sword shot up into the air like a surprised snake. It kept growing and growing until it fell from the sky and circled around her in a large orb. "Doste toys to fidi moy!" Her blade slithered around and launched itself at Emiya like a snake. It was lightning fast and nearly slit his throat, but Emiya rolled to the side and fired another arrow. The arrow shattered into pieces as the snake-like blade jumped around in the air in the blink of an eye and pierced it.

     "Lancer! Assassin! Get Liz out of here!" Emiya ordered as he shot another arrow.

     "Fufu, gladly!" Shuten carried Liz and jumped on to a container and ran as fast as she could to a nearby building. Enkidu flew up into the air and tailed them.

     Nero and Nap ran to Emiya's side. "I'll get her! Hiya!" Nero dashed towards her with her sword dragging against the floor, leaving a trail of sparks. She swung her Rose Sword in a horizontal arc and aimed for Selene's throat.