Chapter 16: Promises

Ara Aoki POV

Today is the day of the long awaited tournament. In which I am both dreading and excited for. But I hide it behind a poker face. Ruki was silent on the ride to school. My mind trails off to what happened yesterday, guilt welling up inside me.

•Flashback•

I dashed home, i was thinking about all the things that happend today. So I can talk to beast, I think it's from one of my new skills. Excitement filled my body, but I wouldn't let other know. After all people saw me as someone cold and cruel. Not like I cared too much, but I rather nor show weakness to others.

I decided to go and do some research and prepare myself for the upcoming tournament.

I went to my private library and started to take out some books that I thought would be useful. I try to balance all my books on the way back to a secluded room.

The room contained a small bed, neatly made, two straight-backed chairs, a washstand, a bureau--without any mirror--and a small table. There wereno drapery curtains at the dormer windows, no pictures on the wall. Allday the sun had been pouring down upon the roof, and the little room was like an oven for heat. As there were no screens, the windows had not
been raised.

Only a small candle was lit, this is where I put all my precious items. I had only discovered this place after much exploring. I just happen to stumble in here when I was looking for the storage room.

My eyes scan to the book.

Let's see, talking with the spirits. Being able to talk with spirits is said to be impossible, but written documents have stated how one being could. It is said they will bring peace and prosperity to the world.

The prophecy says that the calamity is......

It seems that the page was ripped out. I turned to the last page. Four words were written in cursive ancient writing, 'Listen to your heart.' The parchment paper was slightly browned due to it aging. The writing was smudged but visible.

What is that suppose to mean, I was so confused on what that meant and what it was suppose to signify. But it felt like it had a deeper meaning

Frost grew over the windows even as the duvet kept me warm. I watched the ice-crystals grow for a while, allowing my brain to be empty, content to exist and be. The morning would bring the beauty of the ice for sure, that crunch under boot and the bold greeting cold air brings. Yet between now and watching my breaths rise as new white-puffed clouds there will be a very cold night. The kind that only stops at the doors of the well-made houses.

I was so immersed in the book I didn't realise how late it was. I looked out to see heavy rain, Ilisten to the heavy pitter patter of each droplet hitting the window. I feel like i forgot about something.

What could it be

.

.

.

Oh Gosh

I forgot about Ruki. 

How dumb could I be, one might think that hey wouldn't he go home if it was this late. But no Ruki is so loyal that he would wait outside in the rain for the whole night as he might think your doing something important. I also told him to wait for me and meet there. I took the carriage when I went home so he couldn't even go home.

I face palm at my idioticy and curse at myself for forgetting.

How could I be so forgetful, he might catch a cold at this rate. I quickly grab two rain jackets and dash for the carriage. This remind me of the fateful day I saved him. It was bitter sweet.