Karate Class

A/N: I started karate at age 12 and continued on through HS and college. Today I'm at Black Belt  :)

After the B*tch Clique got their well-deserved punishments, I began taking karate classes again. Although I was already a Yellow Belt, I had to go back down to the white belt, beginners level, because the karate I took was different than my last one. When I took the class, half of the students were mainly boys and only less amount of girls. It didn't matter to me because I was only there to learn discipline and learn self-defense.

Learning self-defense was a bit challenging at first. They taught us many kicking moves: Ashi barai (Foot sweep), Fumikomi Geri (Stomp kick), Hiza Geri(Knee strike), Mae-ashi Geri(Front kick with front leg), and Mae-ashi mawashi Geri (Front roundhouse kick with front leg). My two favorites were Front Round House kick with front leg and knee strike. Our Instructor (Sensai) always coached and disciplined us through every session.

Throughout the past 18 weeks, I've learned and practiced all the kicks and punches. We've had some challenges and pop quizzes, which were practicing our moves against each other. I've witnessed how some of the students with higher degree belts: Green, Blue, and Brown did a lot of amazing punches, flips, jumps, including breaking wooden planks and cement bricks. I was in total shocked and amazed, my only word was "DAMN".  

I myself was anxious yet nervous to try those moves when I reached those levels but; I had to prepare myself for the upcoming exam. The exam that would upgrade me back to yellow belt and in the future to gain other belts. As I continued to train and practice, I got much better than before. My instructor said that I have the highest kick in class.

The Night of the Exam 7 pm EST

All the students were there, Half of them were more nervous than me. All I  could do was take deep breathes and relax my body, but on the inside, my heart was pounding like crazy and my hands were sweaty. The time preparation of the exam began. One student after another, the teachers instructed us to perform any kick, punch, flip, etc; to prove what we know and how to do it. Some messed up in a few areas but picked themselves up again. 

The higher belt students had to perform fighting challengings against another opponent. As they fought, I studied their moves and I myself began to secretly practice their moves at home in my spare time.  Soon, it was the white belt students turn. I watched some of the students take it one step at a time, a few itty bitty mistakes had occurred as they performed but practice makes perfect. Finally, it was my turn.  

I took my place, the front center. Inside of me was panicking but on the outside, I felt I was about to faint but I remained calm and took deep breathes. My instructor told me to demonstrate the moves I've learned, one at a time. Sure, I messed up on one of the kicks but it was alright, I continued to demonstrate the moves I knew. 

9 pm EST -- End of the Exam

The exams officially ended for everyone and our Sensai began to grade all of us individually. I've heard some A's, B minuses, C pluses. When I heard my name, I've been graded a B +, I was so happy that I was able to breathe again. Our instructors rewarded us with our yellow belts and medals. I was so happy to once again regain my yellow belt. The higher ranked students: some received their blue, brown, and the official black belt. I looked at one of the students receiving their black belt and I said to myself: I'm gonna work and train really hard to earn that black belt. That's going to be me wearing that black belt. 

Class Dismissed 9:30 pm

Class ended. Thank God, It was Friday. My mom praised me for doing a great job and regaining my Yellow belt again. She told me: "Know that you are in martial arts again, remember to use your moves only if they hit you and pick on you. But!if they continue to get up in your face, don't be afraid to throw the first punch". I nodded my head and we headed home that evening.