7

"Just e-extra studies sir, n-nothing important," Newt lied, Dumbledore, being Dumbledore, saw straight through this facade.

"Well, there's an electric storm tomorrow night, good luck Mr Scamander," He smiled mischievously before turning to leave the common room.

"Uh... Thank you!" Newt called after him.

It was only a few days before Newt was standing alone in his dorm room beginning to panic, if he did this incorrectly there would be  no reversing it.

"Oh well," He prepped himself before blanking his mind and feeling his body change, he felt himself shrink down and found himself thinking, 'I do hope I'm transforming and not just melting'.

He felt all morphing stop so he ran over to the mirror and climbed up to look at himself, he was a weird rodent-kind of creature with a big black nose and slightly ginger ears.

"If this is what represents my personality the best then so be it, I'm cute!" He said to himself, though any words he said came out in hisses or squeaks, before he had time to transform back he heard a large squeal behind him, he spun around and watched as Juliette dropped her papers and books.

"Newt! There's a Quokka in our room!" She yelled, running back out as fast as possible.

"Quokka? Is that what this is called?" He squeaked.

He cleared his mind and grew back to normal, making it look like he'd just ushered the fat creature out the window for when Juliette ran back in.

"Oh thank goodness you got it, I thought they weren't around in England, it terrified me!" She gasped, entering again, Newt picked up her books and placed them neatly on her bed.

"Woah, what's that?" Newt pointed to her face and went to touch the large purple mark across her cheek.

"I-it's nothing! I-I'm positively fine!" She lied.

"No, your face is bruised! P-Please don't lie to me Juliette," He whispered, sounding absolutely helpless.

"It was no one, don't worry," Juliette smiled lightly before turning to her books, not wanting to tell Newt that Leta had been practicing dark magic on her.

"Juliette you need something cold to compress onto it and reduce swelling! Come on, let's go to the kitchen,"

"Newt I'm fine, I-"

"Juliette, if you're not going to tell me who hurt you, be sure as HELL that I'm going to make sure you're okay," He groaned, leading her to the door.

"Newt it's sweet and all but-"

He shot her a caring look so valid and real that she shrunk back from her protest and followed him wordlessly.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?"

"If you promise not to get upset,"

"I can't promise but I'll try,"

"It was Leta, she likes to practice dark magic on me," She whimpered, skimming her hand over the large bruise on her face.

"L-Leta did that to you? I-I'm sure it could have p-possibly been an accident, or maybe even-"

"I let her hurt me Newt, it's easier than fighting, otherwise she would hurt you, but it's okay, you can stay good friends with her and I won't mind,"

"You really are the best friend anyone could ask for,"

"We'll I don't know about that but-"

She was cut short by an embrace, they had hugged before but this was meaningful, it meant something different, Newt understood it too, Juliette was hurting herself so Newt could be happier, and she knew deep in her heart that she cared for him in a way other girls wouldn't.

~~~

Hope you enjoyed!

- Alex