FOUR

"We owe you a great debt, Mr. Scamander," President Piquery said sternly.

"You don't owe me anything," Newt half-smiled, looking at the floor.

"Actually I think you can help us, do you know of a girl, Juliette Apollo?" Queenie asked.

"Oh, Queenie, you don't-" Newt started, Queenie shushing him lightly, he smiled a little more and felt his heart pound slightly, if this worked he could see Jules again.

"Apollo? Uh, hmm... Oh! The girl, the young-ish girl with the dark hair and scars that hangs around with Potter?" She clicked, figuring it out and calling someone over.

"Yes Ma'am?" They asked, holding their wand in the hand and running over.

"Fetch Miss Juliette Apollo, she should be in her usual area, it's a request to show gratitude before our guest is on his way home," She ordered.

"Thank you! Oh thank you so much!" Newt said happily, shaking her hand and struggling to contain his excitement.

"Newt, I know about her, right?" Queenie said softly, he nodded, calming down to talk, knowing she just lost the man she had fallen for.

"Yes of course," Newt nodded along, unsure of where the conversation was going.

"And I know what she is, right?" She said solemnly.

"Oh, Queenie-"

"I don't want a sweet little thing like you getting hurt because of her,"

"What, because she's a Werewolf?" He quizzed.

"Well, yeah," She agreed, he sighed.

"That doesn't matter, that never mattered," He shook his head, rejoining Tina who was speaking to some kind of Auror.

"I heard who's being brought here, you happy? You'll finally be reunited," Tina said, congratulating him with a tone of jealousy.

"Get your sodding hands off of me you squiffy little-!" A woman yelled.

"Miss Apollo," Piquery greeted.

"Uh, hello," Juliette said, highly confused.

Newt took in what she looked like now, still exactly the same, still beautiful, but stick-thin and ragged, it strangely suited her to be the opposite of her upbringing.

"Mr. Scamander just saved our city, we thought you might like to meet him," The president continued.

"Oh, where is he? I thought I was getting arrested again," She giggled lightly.

"Mr. Scamander," Piquery called, Newt approached cautiously, she motioned to Juliette who started beaming with happiness, all those years later and her smile still made his breath hitch.

"I bloody well missed you," She squealed, hopping onto his shoulders and hugging him tightly, he embraced her back just as hard.

"Come for a walk with me," He grinned, taking her hand.

"Where are we going?"

"Anywhere for a while,"

-

"So how is everything?" Newt asked, still linked in arms with Juliette, now the rain had stopped and everyone had dispersed, the streets were peaceful.

"Everything? Pretty vague place to start," She said sarcastically, noticing something, "Pickett!"

Pickett met out a few chirps and then hopped off of Newt's shoulder onto hers, where he held onto her hair so he didn't fall off.

"This is better, this is what I wanted," She sighed, "You know, when I left, I didn't want to leave forever, I just wanted to leave so I could build up my own life and not become a burden to everyone, but then I got stuck here, I always missed you, you know," She explained, "I always loved you,"

"Jules-"

"I know it's not my place to say that, you could have a girlfriend, you could have a wife, or children for that matter!" She listed.

"Jules, there's nobody, I'm all alone in England, all I have is my family, and just a note, Leta is now very much in love with my brother so she's not a concern anymore," He chuckled.

"When I couldn't go back to England, it was the biggest regret of my life to leave, these young stupid kids who thought they'd be alright for a while, and look where that got us, slumming around on the streets of New York," She sighed again.

"You could come back to live with me," He suggested, He wanted to say he loved her, he wanted to embrace her with the strength of all the time that had passed, he wanted to show her how much he loved her, however he could, so that's what his mind settled with, more time.

"I- I don't know... Oh... Okay," She whispered.

"What? You will?"

"Yes, I will, but only if I can gather my things and explain what's happening to Axel," She held up her finger, he nodded and scooped her up into a hug.

"I missed this, I really, really missed this,"

"I missed you,"

Newt ignored it. The tiny tickle of dread working its way further to the front of his brain. Dread the Juliette might be different, she was hard done by and tough now, unlike the privileged pureblood she was brought up to be in her youth.

Juliette ignored it too. The ache of nerves spreading from her heart into every vein. She'd changed, and he looked different too. He looked more mature and sensible, not that he didn't used to be. But he looked... older.
She knew in her mind all the things she'd done to survive over the years.

They wondered if they'd still be the compatible people that they used to know.