10

Newt got home and threw his bag into his room, his mother called after him as he ran out towards the shed behind the house.

"Newton! Come back here!"

He ignored her and ran silently into the shed, taking a seat behind the hunched over figure working on the desk.

"Long time no see," He said suddenly, Theseus jumped so hard that his ink blotched and splattered all over the table, but still, he laughed loudly and stood up briskly to embrace his little brother.

"How was Hogwarts?" Theseus questioned, Newt stuttered while he answered, not really knowing what to make of his first few weeks.

"Well, uh, I made a couple friends, I um, I've started all my classes now, it's uh, a lot of work, and very social," He chuckled.

"Ah yes, school is known as the social hive, now I think mum wants to have some tea and catch up with you, I would go, she doesn't like to be kept waiting," Theseus whispered, Newt nodded and sprinted back to the house.

"My boy! Slow yourself down! You'll crash!" Hope exclaimed.

"Sorry mum, I'm just so happy to be home, even if it is just for a short while," Newt apologised.

"Now, Newton, I must hear all about your first term, it must have been wonderful,"

-

Two nights later on Christmas Eve, Theseus was the only one awake, both his parents and his little brother were sound asleep, but he was happily reading in the living room.

Suddenly he heard a loud thud, he looked up and saw a young girl around the same age as his brother panting heavily on his floor, a moment later a large trunk appeared followed by a howler, which luckily wasn't loud enough to wake his heavy-sleeping family.

"Miss Juliette Apollo, never have I been so appalled with a child, let alone my own, do not return to this house whatever you believe will happen, and certainly do not contact this family, goodbye,"

"Oh great," The girl mumbled, dusting off her dress and coughing harshly, he noticed as he looked at her that she was bruised and bloodied, but not as if she had been hit, but rather she tripped and injured herself in an act of foolishness.

He closed his book and stood to hold a hand out to her, he cleared his throat and she looked up, shocked half to death, "Need a hand?" He asked, smiling lopsidedly.

"Oh, thank you," She breathed, taking his hand and standing up, "I'm so sorry for bursting in, and especially if I disturbed your sleep, I just yelled 'my safe place' in the floo, I was half-expecting Hogwarts"

"Well I was awake anyway, you didn't disturb me at all, come this way and tell me what happened, I'll get you some hot chocolate," He said as he led her to the kitchen, "So why do you think your floo brought you here?"

"Well I don't know who you are so I don't know," She said quietly, taking a seat at the table which was decorated for Christmas the next day, "Basically I was trying to run away from my parents, I was running down the stairs and they threw my case after me, it tripped me up and I fell down the last set of stairs, that explains the injury, so I ran over to the fireplace and poof, here I am, all alone on Christmas Eve,"

"I'll try not to be offended by that," Theseus chuckled, referencing to when she said she was 'alone', he slid the hot mug to her and she took it gratefully.

"I do thank you, but I now must find a place I can stay until I go back to school," She sighed, tapping her scarred fingers on the table anxiously.

"Well I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind, they like to say the more the merrier on Christmas," He chuckled.

"Oh but they don't know who I am!" She shook her head.

"What are you doing down here, and why is there a girl in our kitchen!" Theseus heard, Juliette had jumped when she heard the voice behind her.

"Dad, this is uh..."

"Juliette," She introduced.

"...Juliette," He repeated, "She hasn't got anywhere to go until she can return to Hogwarts and I was wondering if she could stay here," Theseus explained.

"Well... I guess so, but we don't know anything about her!" Bastien, his father, exclaimed.

"Dad? Theseus? What's everybody doing awake this la- Juliette? What are you doing here?" A small voice echoed from the door, Juliette stood up and ran over to the boy as fast as possible, she crashed into him with a large embrace.

"Oh Newt! How wonderful! You're here! Out of all places my Floo brought me here with you!" She squealed.

"Newton, you know this girl?" Bastien questioned as Juliette let him go happily.

"Well of course, she's my best friend ever! What are you doing here? And what happened to you?" He asked in disbelief, scanning his eyes over her injured body.

"Well, let's just say I don't have to go to that stupid Christmas party anymore, they chucked me," She mumbled.

"Bastien? Theseus? Oh my Lord Newton what are you doing out of bed this late? And who's with you?" Hope asked, Juliette turned around, "Is that little Juliette? Oh my dear what happened to you? We must clean you up!"

"Hang on! Why does half the family know this girl?" Theseus yelled, silencing everyone.

"Newt shares the Hufflepuff Duo-dorm with this girl, they're the closest, sweetest friends you ever would see," Hope explained, squeezing Juliette's hand.

"Newt shares a room with this girl?" Bastien repeated.

"Yes, we're best friends, actually, he's kind of my only friend," She chuckled awkwardly.

"Well my my, looks like we have you over for Christmas tomorrow then," Hope smiled, picking up her trunk and reading the howler that was left on top of it.

"Really? Oh that's amazing! I can show you the Hippogriffs I was telling you about! And we can have Christmas dinner together! It'll be a merry day!" Newt cheered.

"Well off to bed then, I'll set up a bed for you too Juliette, follow me," Hope commanded, leading the two children up the stairs.

After Hope had set up another bed on the floor in Newts room and Newt insisted that he took it so Juliette had the bed, they climbed in and turned the lights off so they could sleep, but only for a moment because as soon as Hope had returned to bed, Newt grabbed a muggle torch and sat on the end of Juliettes bed.

"Jules, I know that we get to spend our holidays together and stuff, but are you okay?" He asked worriedly, she sat up and shrugged.

"I don't know," Is all she said and all she could say, holding back the tears that kept threatening to fall.

"You know what I always find helps?" He smiled, she shook her head and wiped her eyes, "A hug," He said quietly, opening his arms, she didn't hesitate to fall into them and sob silently.

A few moments later the grandfather clock chimed twelve times, she sniffled and laughed slightly as she pulled away.

"Merry Christmas Newt,"

"Merry Christmas Jules,"

~~~

•_•

-Alex