005: aiding strangers

five

five . . . aiding strangers
( october 21, 2149 — mount weather )

 aiding strangers( october 21, 2149 — mount weather )

          VOLUNTEERING — THAT WAS Jasper's plan. For the delinquents to volunteer their blood so it wasn't taken unwillingly. Jasper, Monty, Miller, and Harper — that was Jasper's million dollar plan. It was what he told Maya and Cullen the morning following them seeing the Grounders in the Harvest Chamber. Of course, Cullen didn't agree with Jasper's plan, but they didn't have another one. It was either they volunteer, or their blood gets taken out of them without their consent in cruel ways like exposing people they care about to radiation. It was the best possible way for them to stay alive until Clarke came to break them out.

Cullen enjoyed the delinquents' optimism. They believed in Clarke — believed she'd come to get them as soon as she was able to. Not many of them faulted her, but some did. Some refused to volunteer because they believed Clarke had left them behind, and they didn't want to give up what they were being offered in Mount Weather; Cullen could understand this. But ultimately, Jasper's plan fell through. They were going to go every day to offer their blood, enough to satisfy Doctor Tsing, until Clarke came for them. It wasn't much of a plan, but it was what they had.

She believed Clarke would come back. After Dante told Jasper that Clarke had escaped, Cullen didn't want to believe it. She thought: Clarke wouldn't leave her people behind unless she had a plan to get them out, and she continued to believe in that. She told that to the delinquents when they began questioning whether they should have hope in the girl that had left them behind — Cullen had hope, and she barely knew the blond girl.

It was nearing eleven o'clock at night when Cullen was pulled to the side on her way back from the communal bathroom, coming face-to-face with Jasper, Monty, Miller, and Harper. The latter three of the group looked sheepishly to Cullen, who looked puzzled up to the boy that had snatched her from returning to her bed.

"Do you guys realize it's eleven o'clock?" Cullen questioned the four delinquents.

"We know." Miller answered.