026: an unwilling pardon

twenty six

twenty six . . . an unwilling pardon
( february 18, 2150 — arkadia )

          CULLEN LAY ALONG the bench, her head resting next to Kane's thigh as she stared up at the ceiling of the cell they were locked in

CULLEN LAY ALONG the bench, her head resting next to Kane's thigh as she stared up at the ceiling of the cell they were locked in. She had been moved there the previous night, not long after Bellamy left and came back with word that Pike wasn't going to question the Vander female just that second — he had been the one to move her into the cell, receiving harsh glares from the prisoners in return. Cullen had been there ever since, only being able to catch a few hours sleep before she was woken again by the restless atmosphere in the cell.

She wasn't thinking of anything in particular, mainly only Miller and Harper. She wondered where they were, and if their covers had been blown — they must have, Cullen thought, as how else would Bellamy have known the Guards being called to the cell was a distraction in Kane's plan. She drew the conclusions: it must have been Monty who had tapped into the radio, hearing their conversation on having loaded Pike into the rover for their escape out of Arkadia. But, with that conclusion, both Bellamy and Monty would have known Miller and Harper were part of Kane's plan to kidnap and hand over Pike, and that would have resulted in the two young Guards being in the cell with them.

"You inspire them." Kane's voice disturbed Cullen's thoughts, and for the better. She straightened up off the bench, eyes settling on Lincoln, who had approached the two.

The Trikru man sighed softly, thinking shortly before taking a seat on the other side of Kane. "I'm not gonna let you give up, either." Lincoln said to Kane, looking across to the older man with such destined hope. This was Lincoln; kind, and encouraging — the first thing he said to Cullen when she was escorted to the cell was that she was very brave in assisting Kane's plan, and that it took a true heart to never give up on hope. "You, too, Cullen."

She looked past Kane and to Lincoln, a small, but genuine, smile curling against her lips. "I would never."

Their brief moment of seeking out the silver lining in their situation came to a quick end by the sound of the door to the room the cell was situated in being unlocked, and the introduction of, "Chancellor on deck," piercing through the somewhat peaceful atmosphere.