022: opposite ends

twenty two

twenty two . . . opposite ends
( february 6, 2150 — arkadia )

          WHEN CULLEN AND Monty arrived back at Arkadia, it was around one in the morning

WHEN CULLEN AND Monty arrived back at Arkadia, it was around one in the morning. They trekked through the woods without another word said — even when they arrived back and sat in Monty's living room until three in the morning when one of the Guards on duty informed them that Jasper had returned, they didn't talk. They didn't have anything to talk about, and neither of them were willing to express how worried they were about Jasper without having to admit it to themselves, so they didn't.

Fortunately for the sleep deprived twenty-year-old, no one woke her up until Harper came to tell Cullen that Abby was looking for her, and that wasn't until almost noon; Cullen was more than willing to wake up, seeing as she didn't have work until ten that night.

She got dressed as leisurely as possible, eating an apple while flicking through the Guards schedule she kept in her room, before she made her way to the Chancellor's office. It was one of the rooms in the Ark that was still designated for its assigned purpose, which made the residents a kind of happy Cullen couldn't understand.

"Abby?" Cullen called out softly after knocking on the door twice, before deciding to just push it open after not receiving an answer. "Abby, are you here?"

Silence was all she was met with, and after huffing to herself once, she backed out of the room, and directed herself straight to the nearest exit.

Once outside, Cullen was hit with the shift in the air throughout the whole of Arkadia. She stopped curt at the exit, eyes scouring as much of their land as she could see, compartmentalizing certain looks certain residents had on their faces. Some were gleeful, almost too happy Cullen noticed, some looked like they had been dragged through the depths of hell very unwillingly, and others looked numb to no end, faces a plain slate of nothingness as they went about their days as they usually did. It wasn't the atmospheric Arkadia Cullen knew — she knew laughter, and upset, and seriousness, but never nothing. There was always something, and that was what she admired about the place.