014: believing in the right

fourteen

fourteen . . . believing in the right
( november 2, 2149 — mount weather )

          FOR HOWEVER LONG Cullen could remember, her and Maya had shared everything

FOR HOWEVER LONG Cullen could remember, her and Maya had shared everything. From their dolls, to their clothes, to their secrets — and now, their titles as 'enemies of the state', and orphans. Both of their Dad's, gone within what they assumed ten minutes of each other. Both of their parents, dead, leaving only the legacies that were their daughters behind. Cullen was sure that whenever she wasn't feeling the impending painfulness of her Father's death, she would feel the legacy her Mother had left behind: the kindness, and the hope.

Instead, she was feeling extremely uncomfortable trapped in her hazmat suit, the oxygen in her tank ticking down like a bomb attached to her shoulder. Bellamy had told her not to worry, as they had plenty of oxygen to keep both her and Maya alive until the power was restored to the whole of Mount Weather. Cullen simply agreed, not wishing to waste her oxygen on debating with the man who was trying desperately to keep everyone alive.

Though, Cullen only had one person to worry about now. Maya — all she needed was for Maya to survive.

Cullen trailed after Bellamy, Maya, and Jasper, glued to Monty's side. The Green boy had been nothing but reassuring to the Vander female, constantly reminding her that everyone was going to survive. He kept repeating the words, thinking to himself that Cullen needed to hear them on a loop in order to believe they were true. Cullen appreciated Monty's efforts, but past the lingering effects of an adrenaline rush, and the sound of her heart hammering in her ears, she wasn't paying the younger boy the littlest bit of attention.

It wasn't until they reached a door, where Bellamy presented yet another key card he had snatched from a different Guard and flashed it in front of the reader, beeping the door open, that Cullen collected the dismembered parts of her mind. Neither her or Maya had questioned any of the sky boys since they had left the Harvest Chamber — they didn't know what the next step in their plan would be, and in all honesty, they weren't sure they wanted to know.