053: a hundred lives each

fifty three

fifty three . . . a hundred lives each
( march 30, 2150 — second dawn bunker )

          IT TOOK CULLEN longer to calm down then it usually did

IT TOOK CULLEN longer to calm down then it usually did. Why? — It was Bellamy. Whether she'd openly admit it or not, he was her ride or die, now. He was one of the reasons she fought so desperately to survive, and one of the reasons why she wanted to stay in the Second Dawn Bunker. Bellamy Blake was a large part of Cullen Vander's life, and heart, and through the devastation of Cullen coming to terms with the fact he had left to do a life or death mission without her, she focused her thoughts on seeing him again in under twenty-four hours. She kept his face burned into her thoughts until he was all that she could see, and only then did she calm down. Only then was she suitable to rejoin the growing chaotic society that was Skaikru.

It was Abby who came back to check on her, as Kane was holding the lottery that would decide which members of Skaikru would be staying in the bunker. It wasn't what anybody wanted — not by a long shot — but it was happening, and it was more devastating than they expected it to be.

"How are your wrists?" Abby asked as she nimbly sat down next to Cullen.

She looked down at her bandaged wrists, the right one having been unlocked from the handcuff when Abby had to tend to her self inflicted wounds. "They're a little sore, but nothing that can't be dealt with later." Cullen answered, a small smile assuring Abby she was telling the truth. "How are things out there?"

Abby's face twisted in anguish. "Marcus is dealing with our people."

"With the lottery?" Cullen asked, her frown deepening when Abby diverted her eyes. Cullen hadn't realized until then that she had only been thinking about the lives that would be lost, and not the people that would have to live with their lives being chosen over another's — Abby was selfless that way. She could see Abby was battling a war within herself, worried about Clarke, and her designated status in the bunker, coming into play with her melancholic mood. "Abby," Cullen softly spoke, placing her hand over Abby's and gaining the woman's attention once again, "things are gonna be ok. We save who we can save today. Our people understand that."