049: fighting for death

forty nine

forty nine . . . fighting for death
( march 28, 2150 — polis )

          WHEN THEY ARRIVED in Polis to find out a final conclave would be the decision as to which clan would take the Second Dawn Bunker, all hope was lost

WHEN THEY ARRIVED in Polis to find out a final conclave would be the decision as to which clan would take the Second Dawn Bunker, all hope was lost. In a result from unforeseen, and unfortunate, circumstances, each clan would pick a warrior to fight for them, and the twelve warriors would go head to head in one final war to determined who was going to survive — the one warrior left alive would take the bunker, and everybody else would be left to the wrath of Praimfaya. That was their predicament two days ago, when Clarke informed Cullen and Bellamy of the time waster they had come down to — their current predicament was readying Octavia, who arrived at Polis well and prepared for war, for her fight.

Cullen couldn't deny her overflowing relief when she saw Octavia approach them on Helios. The terms of the conclave was that all the warriors were to carry a weapon of their choice, but none were to wield guns. Initially, that term arose panic across Skaikru, who weren't trained in Grounder combat methods — Cullen, who kept quiet before the arrival of Octavia, had just begun learning the first stages of their traditional fighting when all hell broke loose at Arkadia, and Lincoln was killed. Now, it was up to the younger Blake sibling to save Skaikru from their impending death, and Cullen didn't have a doubt that Octavia would do just that.

It was the morning of the conclave, and Cullen stood outside of the room that Octavia had been resting in all night. She was previously accompanied by Bellamy, who had excused himself and stepped into the room to talk to his sister — from what Cullen could hear, Octavia's attitude hadn't changed in the eight days she had been away from their people, but she kept her thoughts to herself. Octavia was risking a lot to be the warrior for Skaikru, and no one was in any position to drill her about her attitude; least of all Cullen, who frowned helplessly when Clarke came into sight, one nod telling Cullen what she had been dreading.

Turning, Cullen entered slowly into the room, capturing the attention of both the Blake siblings. Octavia was standing, the closest to Cullen, while Bellamy sat uncomfortably on a small couch, defeated gaze returning back to his sister when he sussed out why Cullen had entered.