Chapter 2

I walk quickly, my feet moving as fast as I can make them. I want to get away. My parents trusted that I wouldn't run away because they know I'm scared of what they would do when they find me. But now I'm more worried about what they would do when they see me like this, blood everywhere and tears running down.

Tripping on rocks and twigs, I slow down. Sobbing while trying to run is exhausting. I can barely feel the pain in my hands and knees, which I don't think is a good thing.

I'm losing blood, and fast. I try to stop the bleeding by grabbing my hands together and pressing hard. Might not have been my greatest idea because the pain came back tenfold.

Gasping in pain, I keep the pressure on my hands, knowing this would help me from losing more blood.

After a half hour of walking, I start to get tired. Guessing it's as good a time as any to sleep, I find a big tree and sit at the base. Sitting down unceremoniously, I pull my knees up to my chest to keep me warm.

Unable to sleep, I quickly start rocking back and forth, feeling like I'm losing my sanity. I'm just a girl who doesn't know a thing about this world, yet here I am, all alone in it. I never thought I would get away from my parents, but now that I have, I wonder if it was what's truly best. I had a home, if you could call it that. I had my blanket and food scraps. That's more than I have now.

Maybe I should just go back... What's the worst that could happen? They beat me until I die? Maybe going back isn't the best idea.

Jaxson's POV

I'm sitting in my office, catching up on Alpha duties. The worst part about being Alpha is the paperwork that comes with it. The best thing is the bond I have with the pack. Everyone matters, and it's a great feeling to protect them while knowing they would protect me too.

I get a mind link from my Beta. "Alpha, a rogue has come onto our territory. Do you want me to check it out?" Some rogues are people looking for a better life while some are cold, heartless killers.

Not wanting to continue on with this paperwork, I mind link back that I will go deal with the rogue.

Walking through the forest is like second nature to me. We live in these forests. It is home. I catch the scent of the rogue and it smells like vanilla and strawberries, the most wonderful smell. I believe I have found my mate.

Walking with more vigor, I quickly see a girl bunched up in a ball, rocking back and forth. I hear her mumbling, "Please no hurt me. Please," repeatedly.

Her light brown hair is matted and her fearful blue eyes are looking around as fast as they can. Even though she is in this state, she is stunning.

I slowly approach her, hoping not to scare her. I hear a twig snap and realized I stepped on it. Her head shoots up at the sound and her eyes, full of tears, widen.

"Please! Please no hurt me!" my mate begs, looking scared for her life. She holds up her hands in a surrender position and I see the blood running down her arm.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you," I try to say as soothingly as possible. All I want to do is comfort her and make sure she is okay.

I slowly walk closer, and she sees this. She backs as far as she can into the tree she is sitting under. As I approach, her wide tearful eyes droop.

Knowing she would pass out; I quickly make my way over to her and put both my hands on the sides of her face.

"I... so tired..." she slurs.

"Hey, please stay with me! Don't go to sleep!" I plead.

"Please don't leave me," was the last thing I said before her eyes closed and she went limp.