13| The Camp

NOT PROOFREAD 

"Broken crayons still color."
"The little things? The little moments? ---- They aren't little!"

It's been roughly three weeks since sunehri had appeared in their lives. Every other person tried their best to keep her occupied, feel safe and loved. And, it would be a lie if there hasn't been any improvement.

She was adjusting her surroundings slowly. Avni had taken Sunehri's complete responsibility. Be it in her safety or happiness. Avnii would do anything to keep her happy.

They still had no idea about her or her past. But, as they say, the present matters, no one asked, interrogated about her whereabouts. They just accepted her.

Sunehri had been living with Avni ever since that day. Neil and Dd were also spending their most of the time at Avni's lil house for Sunehri. Dd has been a sweetheart and was trying his best to make sunehri feel better and comfortable. And neil, well, he is fulfilling his duty of the big brother and taking care of all the things sunehri might need.

It was tough for avni to not fall anymore for him. Avni visualized the same warmth when he had near siya when he was trying to cheer sunehri up. Avn couldn't be happier. All she wanted was them to be satisfied. And, somewhere in their happiness, she would find hers too.

"Avni, get up!" avni heard a whisper from the side. But, she immediately groaned when she felt a small hand shaking her. She nudged that hand slowly and turned to the other side and snuggled more into the blanket. 

Sighing, the same person tried once more to wake avni. She shook Avni's shoulders till avni lift her blanket and open her eyes. 

Avni was so ready to beat that person, who had dared to disturb it. She opened her eyes very slowly and rubbed them to adjust with the light that was flowing throughout the room. Opening them she saw that person and beamed at them cheerfully.

"Good morning, sweetie!" Said avni cheerily.

Sunehri's cheeks were flushed. "Good morning." 

"Awh! You look so beautiful, sweetheart. Give me 10 mins, okay? I'll be down by 15," avni said, looking at the same person who was very afraid. 

She had grown to the state where she could care less about what others blabber. Avni and co had been there for her in such a way and lifted her self-esteem in a short time. Sunehri was indeed beautiful. Everyone is beautiful, be it inside or outside. You have to accept yourselves the way you are. And then, you will be unstoppable.

Avni got ready as she was heading downstairs, she was shocked to see sunehri cooking. Avni stood there, gawking at sunehri. 

"Oh, i am so sorry. I didn't ask you befo--" she was cut short when avni started laughing. 

Avni approached her and said, "Sunehri, this house is yours as much as it is mine. We may not know each other well. But, i got to know enough in these past weeks, and i am pleased to have you here, okay? Now please get me food, i am starving." 

Sunehri smiled and got a plate filled with pancakes. Looking at then, avni practically drooled. 

"Chocolate?" asked sunehri.

Avni nodded, "Chocolate always!"

"Wow, sunehri. I love it!" avni exclaimed and started eating messily. She always has been a messy eater. She still remembers when her mom used to make the whole family pancakes every Sunday. Her brother and avni used to fight for the last pancake. Then, not wanting to upgrade this fight, their papa used to tear it into half and put each piece into their plates and kiss them on the forehead. Those were the days. 

Avni was ready to breakdown then and there. But, she was hesitant to let sunehri see her vulnerable. So, she just stopped eating and put the plate into the dishwasher and left not before telling sunehri, "I will be in the car. Hurry up," she said, flashing a small smile.

Avni and sunehri reached the college earlier than expected. Grabbing their bags, they headed to their lockers. Avni was so engrossed in her locker she didn't hear someone approaching the locker next to her.

Neil, Dd, and ali were also early. It's like it had become their ritual to be early and spend some time with the girls before the classes start. Neil opened his locker eagerly. But, as soon as he found nothing but a stack of notebooks his face immediately turned into a scowl and there was a slight pang in his chest. 

"Awh, neil stop scowling early in the morning!" Ali teased

"Forget it, ali. Neil is scowling because it had been days since he got a cute note from his You know who!" Dd yelled.

Avni's breath hitched. She was inside her locker, blocking herself from intruders and was over listening to their conversation felt happy and guilty at the same time. Avni had been caught up with everything and since she was seeing neil daily she totally forgot about her being his secret admirer. She smacks her head and made a mental note to write a letter to him tomorrow. But, it felt good hearing that her notes mattered to neil. 

They were heading to their classes when they heard an announcement. "Good morning, students. We all know our college participates in different activities. And today, we are holding an NSS campaign and all the Volunteers should take part in it and others are welcome too, of course. Be sure, you will do your work and don't worry, the certificates will be given. Have a good day!"

Every other volunteer was ready to bunk the classes and refresh themselves. The Head gave them an address in the NSS chat group and ordered every student to show their presence in an hour. 

No one knew where they were headed too. As DD insisted, sunehri and avni to ride with them. Sunehri immediately squealed in a yes making everyone laugh for her excitement. Neil was driving and Dd sat in the passenger seat. At the back, ali followed by avni and sunehri sat comfortably. 

It took a good thirty minutes to reach the destination. The entire road was filled with students. They were holding the glowing bands. 

Before anyone can analyze what are those for? "Thank you, everyone, for participating in this camp. Many people here might be wondering about what are these needed for?" he said looking at the glow bands. "Don't worry, i will fill you guys. We all know the accidents happening in our world. There is way more brutal hen it comes to animals. Guys, they have the right to live too. We gotta learn to co-exist. So, simple, we are gonna find the street dogs, pups and every other kind of animal and tie this band around their neck. That way, no one will die."

Avni was dumbfounded when she heard this. She still remembers the day when she saw two to more animals that were brutally killed and no one was giving a crap about it. Instead, they continued riding their precious cars and step on them, like literally. It was very heartbreaking to watch animals die that way. 

But, she was glad someone had taken the responsibility and made something like this. This way, the ongoing vehicles would have a heads up to where they should drive without killing innocents. 

Let's see how they make this camp successful.

Hola guys! Not much, i know. Just a filler chapter. I am suffering from a bad tummy ache and i couldn't write anymore, so i just thought to give you guys a teaser? It's been long. I miss this story. 

Diya- as you asked, here is the update. Thank you for supporting me and these stories.

Thank you everyone for your endless support. I am soo grateful for that. 

Love, Seneca