FOURTY TWO

CHAPTER FOURTY TWO

LONDON

      THE CALMING AND GORGEOUS VOICES of the choir echoed throughout the large cathedral. Despite not knowing Peggy Carter, Laurel had heard a lot of interesting and fantastic stories about the woman, every single one painting her in a good light, so she felt the need to attend the funeral, not just for Steve, but to pay her own respects for the extraordinary woman.

She was dressed respectively in black and sat next to Steve on his left, Sam on his right. Both of them wanted to desperately be there for him in this painful time. Laurel held on of Steve's hands, but her not being the best to offer comfort, she simply drew small circles on the back of his hand. This one gesture calmed her a lot, she hoped it could sort of do the same for Steve.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words," the priest said with a calming and sympathetic tone to the mourning friends and family of Peggy.

Attention shifted to the pulpit above everyone as a gorgeous blonde woman stepped up. Sam nudged Steve, drawing his eyes up to Sharon, though he recognised her as Agent Thirteen.

Laurel gave a small smile to Sharon, seeing the blonde's eyes linger on her for a bit longer then expected. Sharon exhaled shakily as she prepared herself to speak. "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD... But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy... She had a photograph in her office, Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool, but it was a lot to live up to, " Sharon smiled at the distant memory. "Which is why I never told anyone we were related," Laurel saw Steve give a small nod as he looked into his lap, feeling like the sentence was directed at him. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can, but where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... It is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say: no, you move."

When the funeral came to a close, and goodbyes were given to Margaret Carter, people cleared out swiftly, the heavy grief evident over everyone. Laurel and Steve were the only two that remained, Steve not ready to say his goodbye and Laurel refusing to leave his side in this time. She sat in the front booth silently, waiting for Steve to tell her he was ready to go but she didn't think it'd be anytime soon.

Her eyes slowly trailed around the cathedral, examining each of the photos that were on display. Peggy seemed like an amazing person and Laurel clearly saw that she had a big impact on a lot of people's lives. Laurel wished she could've met Peggy.

She turned back to find Natasha approaching them, her heels gently clicking against the red carpet as she approached them. Laurel gav the red head a smallnod of acknowledgement as Steve glanced at Natasha before looking back to the floor.