FOURTY FIVE

CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE

       "YOU PULLED ME FROM THE river

"YOU PULLED ME FROM THE river. Why?" Steve demanded.

Laurel closed her eyes, trying to relax herself. "Steve," she said, trying to get him to stop.

"I don't know," Bucky admitted, sliding his glove off to reveal the metal arm that held so many painful memories.

"Yes you do."

Suddenly, before Laurel could react, a grenade fell through the window. Steve acted quickly, hitting it away, but another soon took its place.  Bucky knockd the grenade to Steve, who placed the American shield over it to contain the explosion.

As another flew in, Bucky defensively pulled the matress up, covering him and Laurel from the explosion. Hearing the special forces trying to breach the front door, Laurel gripped onto the edge of the table and chucked it into the doorway to slow them down.

More of the operatives bursting through the windows, sending shattered glass onto the floorboards. Bucky didn't hesitate to fight back, neither did Laurel. She was going to protect him, she knew that for a fact.

Not afraid of the gun, Laurel advanced towards one of the operatives, throwing her hand up and grabbing onto the barrel of the gun before he could fire. Twisting it, she managed to make his grip loosen, and she kneed him into the stomach, making him grunt before she did a solid punch to the face.

She turned to see another burst through the other door. Steve tried to do less damage, but instead Bucky sent him flying out of the door. Desperately wanting his friend to not be charged with anything else, Steve grabbed Bucky's hand. "Buck, Stop! You're gonna kill someone." but his pleads were useless as Bucky used the strength of his prosthetic limb to force Steve to the ground.

Reeling his hand back, Laurel's eyes widened in fear as it came back down. But, to Laurel's relief, it collided with the floorboards instead of Steve's head. "I'm not gonna kill anyone." He tore a bag from a small compartment hidden under the floor and threw it to the rooftop of the building across from them. He turned to go when another operative enter but this time, Laurel's instincts kicked in. But the wrong kind.

She turned and screamed, sound ripples breaking the wall and sending the special force operative into a bathroom. Being this close though, the defening scream didn't just knock him unconscious, it killed. Laurel sucked in a sharp breath, realising what she had done. Her eyes widened in fear. Murder, she murdered someone as the Canary. "Shit..." she murmured shakily, turning back to see Bucky throw Steve at another operative that tried entering.

Another one came through the window, kicking Laurel to the side before firing at Bucky. The retired Winter Soldier held his metal arm up, deflecting the bullets before grabbing the shooter and throwing him to the side, knocking him unconscious.