FOURTY THREE

CHAPTER FOURTY THREE

      "WHEN STOLEN WAKANDAN VIBRANIUM WAS used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy," King T'Chaka explained to the reporters and people of high status, the microphones helped project his voice perfectly thro...

      "WHEN STOLEN WAKANDAN VIBRANIUM WAS used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy," King T'Chaka explained to the reporters and people of high status, the microphones helped project his voice perfectly through the room. "Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back." Melissa and Natasha shared a glance before focusing back on the King, Natasha being respectable and focusing her full attention on him as Melissa drew a small symbol over one of the blank sheets of paper in front of her, being in a world of her own. After loosing her job, she lost interest in events like this, and even though she knew that she should be paying attention, most of her attention was on the small drawing. "We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers, for supporting this initiative. Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace-"

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" T'Challa shouted, running across the panel.

Melissa finally looked up, eyes wide as her superhearing kicked in, but not quick enough. Her detachment from reality made her useless against this explosion because, as it went off, she was to slow to get down and move whatever explosive was planted.

Natasha forced her down, both of the women huddling under one of the desks as rubble and debris shot through the room, flying at innocent people.

Melissa looked up at Natasha with fear and guilt evident in her eyes but without warning, she tore her glasses from her face and used her speed and X-ray vision to try and help. Squinting her eyes at the top of the desk, and beginning to move faster then the average human, she saw a slab of the building, flying through the air to a group of people trying to escape.

She zoomed out from hiding, leaving her glasses with Natasha, and caught the debris before it could hurt anyone. Placing it down, Melissa flew to another part and caught another piece, but that was it. She was too slow and looking around, her heart cracked and breath hitched in her throat as she saw T'Challa cradling the lifeless corpse of King T'Chaka, dust settling around him with small fires scorching the edges of the building. Around the area, she saw other lifeless bodies of innocent civilians, people that had lives ahead of them.

If Melissa wasn't so distracted, she could've saved them.

🎶

      SAM AND LAUREL TRAILED BEHIND Sharon and Steve as the Captain had insisted he could walk her back to her apartment. To say Laurel was jealous was an understatement. Watching the two interact, laughing at jokes and reminiscing on memories made Laurel feel like she wasn't giving Steve what he longed for and that Sharon was doing a better job at that. But, when Sam told her they almost dated, that didn't help her conscience.

"You're being awfully quiet," Sam pointed out, nudging Laurel who was unintentionally staring at the back of Sharon's head with aversion invading her eyes.