FIFTY ONE

CHAPTER FIFTY ONE

      DRESSED IN 'THE CANARY' SUIT, Laurel and Steve looked out across the airport to where a chopper was conveniently placed

      DRESSED IN 'THE CANARY' SUIT, Laurel and Steve looked out across the airport to where a chopper was conveniently placed. Their friends were hidden around the airport for eyes from all sides and despite it looking deserted, Laurel had a gut feeling that there were people around other than them.

She glanced to her left, seeing Steve's eyes already focused on her. The Canary sighed before moving her mask up to cover her eyes.

"You ready?" Steve asked, strapping his shield securely to his arm.

Laurel looked back out, moving past Steve swiftly. "As I'll ever be."

Together, the pair ran out of their cover, speeding over to the helicopter as quickly as they could. Laurel felt like they weren't alone and she knew it was too much of a coincidence that the vehicle was just sitting there, waiting to be used. And her gut was right as Steve and her slowed into a walk when a scarlet red line of heat shot through the chopper. Narrowly missing Steve on the other side, it burned through the control panels, clearly rendering it useless for them.

Steve and Laurel looked up to see the alien-human hybrid floating above the Iron Man and War Machine. Tony and Rhodey flew down, landing in front of the pair, Melissa landing in front of them with her fist planted in the concrete. She flicked her head up, blonde hair flying gracefully over her head but her face showed pain and Laurel's eyes widened when she caught sight of Melissa's neck.
Bright purple bruises wrapped around her neck, standing out against her light coloured skin and clearly causing her discomfort.

"Wow it's so weird how you run into people at the airport," Tony exaggerated, his helmet flicking up as he exchanged glances with Rhodey and Melissa. "Don't you think it's weird?"

"Definitely weird," Rhodey responded as Melissa stiffly nodded.

"Hear me out, Tony," Steve began, trying to reason with his friend. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

Laurel glanced to the side as T'Challa leaped over, dressed in the Black Panther costume. He landed perfectly, looking at the three he sided with before Laurel and Steve. "Captain, Canary."

"Your highness," Steve greeted respectively as Laurel kept her mouth shut.

"Anyways... Ross gave me thirty six hours to bring you in," Tony began, beginning to walk around Melissa and Rhodey. "That was twenty four hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"You're after the wrong guy," Laurel more so growled then said, wanting to defend Bucky till they could clear his name and place the person who was responsible behind bars.

"Your judgement is askew!" Melissa rose her voice, leaning forward only to wince when pain throbbed through her head. Laurel gave the Superhuman a sympathetic look, feeling horrible for the fact she did nothing to stop Bucky from choking Melissa.