Just friends

2 years and 8 months had passed since the death of Mr and Mrs Curtis.  A lot changed.  Darry was sterner, Sodapop was quieter and Ponyboy was angrier.  The boys had their friends around a lot more often and Y/N didn't feel too comfortable around them.  She wasn't necessary scared of them, she has just never been around them too often before.  She got along with Johnny because of his friendship with Ponyboy, and she could hold a conversation with Steve and Two-bit. Dallas Winston was where most of the uncomfortableness stemmed. 

Y/N continued to sit at the dining table with Ponyboy working on their homework, except now Darry was the one preparing dinner, and Sodapop was cleaning, fixing things or working late.  Both Darry and Sodapop dropped out of school after their parents death, the family needed the money, and Soda always said he was flunking anyway.  Ponyboy stayed in school, mostly because his older brothers would never let him quit, but Y/N was glad he stayed in school.  She liked doing homework together. 

Y/N stayed for dinner most nights, her parents rarely remembered to cook for her anyway.  Darry didn't mind, but she always felt bad. Anytime she had extra money she would help pay for groceries, and would always help clean up the dishes. 

After dinner is when their gang would come over, they liked to watch TV or sometimes go to the drive-in.  They tried to stay out of trouble the best they could, what with Darry now being both Soda and Ponyboy's legal guardian.

First to come in was Two-bit, bombarding his way towards the TV, sitting on the floor.  Next was Steve and Johnny, both boys made their way to the kitchen first, on a quest for food.  Dally didn't turn up until about 10 minutes later.  Y/N said her quick greetings and hurriedly made her way back to the washing up.

The gang started talking about their plans for tonight.  Y/N was always invited by Ponyboy to join them on their adventures, but she mostly declined. She didn't want to seem a bother or be in the way of their fun.  However, for some reason this night she found herself unable to say no. 

"Anyone wonna go to the drive-in?" Johnny asked the gang.  Everyone besides Sodapop and Darry said yes. Sodapop begrudgingly explained himself

"I gotta get up early for work tomorrow, Darry too.  Steve I reckon you should get an early night too buddy, boss said you're opening up with me tomorrow".

This was news to Steve, who had already planned, in his opinion "a well deserved lay-in". 

"Well I wanted to see Evie tonight anyway" Steve continued, "sorry Johnny I guess I'll pass". 

Ponyboy turned his attention to Y/N who was still working her way through that nights washing up.

"Hey Y/N" Pony practically whispered. "you wonna come with us? Would be nice to have a conversation over popcorn rather than homework". 

Recently Y/N had started feeling nervous around Ponyboy, she hadn't told him this, assuming it would fizzle out. A few minutes after Ponyboy's question, she realised she hadn't said anything. She found herself unable to talk, only managing to stare at Ponyboy's piercing eyes. She has never noticed them before. Why now? Those greenish grey eyes felt like they were inviting her in. She was lost in thought when a snap shook her back to reality.

"C'mon, I'm buying" Ponyboy continued. Y/N finally answered after what felt like an eternity.

"Sure, why not?".

The two shared a smile, familiar to the hundreds they'd shared before, but different. It was a smile that made each of them feel weak.  Neither of them mentioned their confusion or even hints at feelings changing. 

Both were stubborn in the fact that they were friends. 

Just friends.