Late

Seconds from falling asleep, Y/N shook her head awake.  They had been looking at the stars for hours and they were only a few minutes away from curfew.  

"Ponyboy! Wake up Darry will kill you if you're not home soon!"

"Oh damn, I didn't realise how long we'd been sitting here, c'mon." Ponyboy stood up and extended his hand. 

They both started the walk back home, with their hands still interlocked.  As they reach their houses Ponyboy stopped as he realised the lights were still on.  He felt a sinking feeling as he quietly hoped Darry wasn't awake waiting for him. 

"D'you want me to come with you? I'll help you explain why you're a little late.." Ponyboy nodded lightly and they both made their way inside. 

As he opened the door, Darry was indeed sitting up waiting, reading the newspaper like he had done many times before.  Soda laid on the couch half asleep from a busy day at the DX.  Ponyboy and Y/N nervously entered the Curtis house, expecting the worst but hoping for the best.  Darry carefully and slowly lifted his head up. 

"Ponyboy, you're late.  Did u fall asleep in the lot again?"

"Sorry Darry, we didn't realise the time!" Y/N felt it was best if she spoke first.  Darry had a soft spot for her and she knew she could use it to her advantage to help Ponyboy. 

Darry's eyes wondered down and he saw his kid brother and Y/N still holding hands.  He smiled a warm smile, one rarely seen on his face and he continued "Y/N you better get home, and Pony you better get to bed.   Try not to fall asleep on your way there.."

Y/N unlocked her fingers from Ponyboy's.  "I'll see you guys later." she laughed as she made her way out the door. 

Ponyboy started walking towards his and Sodapop's bedroom.  Soda had started sleeping next to Ponyboy after their parents died, Ponyboy needed comforting after getting recurring nightmares, and Sodapop liked the company anyway. 

With Pony outside of earshot Darry and Soda began speculating about him and Y/N.  Darry began asking Soda if he knew anything. 

"I haven't been told anything, but I thought something would start." 

"At least he's concentrating on something else besides movies and books for once."

Darry seemed almost proud of this kid brother.  He remembers when Soda started noticing girls and how much he grew into a man from then on.