Remorse

The next morning Darry woke up first and started fixing breakfast.  Sodapop followed soon after.  Him and Ponyboy were still sleeping in their own rooms. 

"Morning Dar, Pony up yet?"

"Not yet, when he does I'll speak to him.". Ponyboy walked into the kitchen just as Darry spoke. He anxiously hovered in the doorway. 

"Heya Pone, how ya feeling?" Sodapop always had a sweat sound to his voice when he spoke, making it difficult for Pony to continue his anger. 

"Just fine.... Darry, I know you're planning on talking to me and I know what you're gonna say. I really am sorry I didn't let you know where I was heading yesterday. I just needed to get out.  And I know what I done to Y/N wasn't very nice but believe it or not she deserved it."

"Deserved it?" Soda interrupted.  "All she ever done was like you Pone, she was so excited for that date last night and you broke her heart!"

"Yeah well she broke mine! And so did you!" Pony's voice was getting louder.  "How could you do that to your own brother? Or to Connie? You talk about treatin' girls fair, what about Connie?"

"Ponyboy what in the hell are you on about?" Darry tried to intervene, but ended up raising his voice just as loud.

"He knew I liked Y/N! He knew it and he still went after her!"

"After her? Pone, what are you on about?" At this point Soda and Darry were equally confused. 

"I saw you yesterday, in the garden hugging, and I've seen how y'all act towards each other too! You're always chatting away, and touching each other like there's something more than friendship!" Ponyboy was tearing up and his voice was breaking as he yelled.

"There is something more than friendship between me and Y/N Pony, she's like a sister to me. Last night I hugged her 'cause she told me you finally asked her out and she was over the moon! She'd been telling me how much she liked you 'cause she couldn't talk to her parents about it!" Ponyboy was shocked.  He started for think some more about what he saw between his brother and Y/N.

"And we ain't been acting funny! I've been an ear to listen! Pony, you know what her parents are like, and she won't talk to Angela or any of them greaser girls about her feelings! She's like you, Pone. She feels things differently." Sodapop's eyes were heavy as he realised the pity he felt for Y/N.

Ponyboy stared at his brother as he began to understand. He was a jerk.  He took a seat at the kitchen table and placed his head on his hands as he  began to cry. Both Darry and Soda sat either side and comforted him.

"I'm sorry Sode. Sorry Darry. I didn't mean to yell at ya." He looked up at his older brothers and saw how much hurt he caused them, especially Soda.  Ponyboy had never raised his voice to Sodapop and felt awful for doing so.

"I feel awful for accusing you Sode." He kept apologising in-between crying. 

"I forgive ya Pony, but I'm not the one you should be apologising to." Ponyboy suddenly realised how much of an idiot he had been.

He loved Y/N. He had thrown everything away because of jealousy. Jealousy based on no facts or evidence. As he sat there with both his brothers he started to feel sick to his stomach. When he saw Sodapop smile at Y/N it was the same smile he had when he saw Ponyboy. When he placed his hand on her back it was the same way he would comfort Pony.  And the hug she received yesterday was just a hug.  He began to remember Y/N's face yesterday when he came home with Norma. 

"Oh god, Norma! I don't know what I'm gonna do.  I wanted to make Y/N jealous but..." Ponyboy started to think aloud. "..but I don't know how I'm gonna convince her I still love her. Or how I'm gonna tell Norma I don't love her." He looked at his brothers for advice.

"You need to speak to Y/N, Ponyboy. Telling Norma how you feel is the easy bit, but the look on Y/N's face last night... " He trailed off as he too, remembered.  As the trio sat at the table, their breakfast going cold, the door swung open as most of the gang filed in. 

Everyone one was there besides Dally.  As they entered they said their greetings whilst ultimately ignoring Pony.  Rather than make Ponyboy explain once more, Darry took it upon himself to speak for him.  He let everyone know about the misunderstanding that went on in addition to advising them to lay off Pony a bit. 

"He knows he messed up, and he feels awful."

"Good" Two-bit spoke under his breath.  Johnny was more forgiving them the rest of them. 

He approached Ponyboy at the table and sat next to him.

"It's alright Pone, Y/N is bound to forgive you if you just explain to her what you told Darry and Soda." Ponyboy struggled to produce a small smile.

"That lil girl might never get over it. But she sure as heck liked you a lot Ponyboy, so for her sake you gotta speak to her." Two-bit and Steve both didn't hold a grudge against Pony for what he did.  Norma is a pretty girl and once they realised what his intentions were, they understood a little why he done it. Besides, Steve had been two timing Evie whilst they were together, so he couldn't judge, and Two-bit flirted with anything that breathed.

"C'mon Pone, let's head to school." Johnny suggested realising what time it was. "We can get there before Y/N for once so y'all can talk." They said their goodbyes, Pony wiped his tears and the two greasers headed out. 

Walking next door they were earlier than usual. They waited and waited but Y/N never came out. Eventually Johnny went up and knocked on the door, but there was no answer. They figured she must have left early, or would be taking the day sick. 

Either way, they decided to carry on without her and walk to school as a duo.