Sleep

Suddenly it felt like everything had toppled on top of him and he needed to escape. Without thinking he punched one of the cabinets and ran up to his room.

"PONYBOY, WHAT THE HELL?" Darry shouted. Soda and Y/N came back in as they heard the commotion.

"Where did Pony go?" Darry explained his sudden outburst but everyone was still confused. They tried knocking on his door but Pony didnt respond, he skipped dinner and didn't speak to anyone. They went in to check on him a couple of times but to their knowledge he was asleep.

Everyone was worried he had caught an illness and were silent for the rest of the evening, not wanting to make too much noise and disturb his sleep. Finally Y/N spoke up.

"Guys I'm gonna head home, if he decides to emerge can you let him know where I went?... Soda If anything happens can you let me know?" Soda and the boys nodded and said goodnight as she left.

Y/N took herself up to bed after she left the Curtis house.  She was worried about Ponyboy.  Moments before he was so happy, they were laughing and smiling and planning their date. She wanted to know what changed and why.  She was interrupted with a knock at the door.

"Hey sweetie"

"oh hey mom."

"I have bad news hon, me and your dad are gonna have to go on a little trip for a couple of weeks. Your grandma passed away, we have to help organise some things before the funeral." Y/N had never met her grandmother, there were some family arguments.

"We've left some money on the side for you for food, and I'm sure the Curtis brothers will look out for you." Y/N thought about how she wouldn't notice her parents being gone, it would be like normal. After her mom left, she gradually fell asleep whilst still worrying about Ponyboy. 

Inside the bedroom, Ponyboy was curled up under the covers. He had been crying but when anyone came to check he pretended to be asleep. He heard Y/N say that she was leaving, and hearing her voice broke him even more. He heard the rest of the gang leave and soon both Soda and Darry came to see if he was okay.

"Hey little buddy" Darry softly said. "What's wrong? You skipped dinner and you're not saying a word, we're all worried."

Finally Pony spoke "I just don't feel well, my stomach hurts."

"Okay little man, let us now if you need anything." Soda started getting ready for bed but Ponyboy spoke up for him to stop.

"Soda, I'll be okay to sleep alone tonight... besides, I'm getting too old to have both of us in one bed."

"Okay buddy, if that's what you want." Soda leaned over giving his a kiss on the forehead, something he used to always do whenever he was sick, and left.

Ponyboy couldn't handle sleeping next to him that night, he was hurt. All he could think about was why his brother would do that to him.

'It all makes sense, how he would touch her and smile at her. How could he do this to me?' Ponyboy's thoughts were spinning. 'oh my god Connie! How could he do this to her? She is great, I thought they were in love.... I have to tell her... No! I can't break her heart like mine is.' His thoughts continued all night until he eventually fell asleep.

Hours passed and he woke up with a jolt.  The room was still dark so it wasn't morning yet.  This was the first night in a long while Pony had slept on his own and he had never felt so alone. He didn't know what to feel anymore.  He struggled to get back to sleep for the next few hours until finally dropping off in the early hours, before sunrise.