Not now

Later that night, Ponyboy laid awake next to his older brother. He couldn't get Y/N out of his mind, whenever he closed his eyes all he could see was Y/N's hand interlocked with his. All he could feel was her warmth and all he could hear was her contagious laugh, and he didn't understand. He was confused. Y/N had been around his whole life, she was never anything more than a friend.

"What're you thinking 'bout Pone?". Suddenly Soda interrupted his thoughts.

"I don't know, nothing I guess".

As Sodapop closed his eyes to fall back asleep, Ponyboy spoke up.

"Soda, how did you know when you first fell in love with Connie?".

Connie and Soda had been dating for the past 10 months, they met whilst Soda was fixing her dad's truck at the DX. She's a very sweet girl who adores Soda to pieces and he the same. The whole gang liked her and loved how happy she made him, especially after Soda's previous girlfriend, Sandy. She hadn't been faithful to Soda, and after Johnny got burned she found herself into some trouble and her parents shipped her out to her aunt and uncle. It broke Soda. For weeks he was heartbroken, he truly loved Sandy and was even willing to help raise that baby, even if it wasnt his. He wrote to her constantly and even offered to marry her, but she never responded. It was the best thing in the long run, because a year and a bit later he met Connie and the two instantly connected.

"It was the moment I first saw her, sitting in her dads truck. She was beautiful".

"But what did it feel like?". Ponyboy was sitting up in bed at this point, intrigued into every word.

"It felt like a knot in my stomach. Thinking about her, it just took my breath away".

Ponyboy fell back down and closed his eyes. He felt like he could finally go to sleep, he finally knew and understood. He'd fallen in love with Y/N.

Y/N opened her front door and made her way into the kitchen. Her mother was sitting at the kitchen table which was littered with pieces of paper. Her father was in the living room fast asleep in his chair.

"Hey mom"

"Hey sweetie have you eaten tonight?" Mrs L/N continued to stare at the table as she worked.

"Yeah I ate... Mom... can we talk?"

"Not now sweetie I need to get this done before tomorrow".

Y/N had been rebuffed a dozen times before and and it never bothered her, but this time she really needed someone to chat too.

"Please mom?"

"Sweetie I'm serious I have to get this done, go see if your father is awake".

Y/N knew to not even bother, of course her father wouldn't listen to her, even if he was awake. She simply made herself a glass of water and took herself up to bed like normal.